A Gardeners Forum
Posted By: Kratz7 lotus flower sprouted ty tk - December 11th, 2006 at 07:31 AM
[Linked Image]

Hi everyone,

I just want to show you my lotus flower plant that I started back in November. I found the seeds in my fall fling seeds from tkhooper.(thanks TK) thumbup I decided to try growing one myself for our pond next year.
First I needed to sand the seed shell with actual sandpaper. Then I put the seed in water for about 3-4 weeks (til it sprouted). Then my husband planted it its current container.

[Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image]

I'm hoping it will keep on growing....I did buy a great glass jar for the final container
but hubby doesn't agree.....so we'll see.....lol

Here's the new container.......

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image] this container stand about 24"-26" tall and is about 18" in width. He's afraid the lotus will get stuck in the jar as the top opening is only around 6" in diameter....lol

Does anyone have an opinion? lol

Thanks,

[Linked Image]
Posted By: tkhooper Re: lotus flower sprouted ty tk - December 11th, 2006 at 07:55 AM
I've seen people grow them in buckets like you use when you are mopping the floor. I think that might be better than that jar. But if you turn the jar on it's side it would make a great terrarium. (sorry I probably spelled that wrong). Good luck with your project. I'm glad it sprouted.
Posted By: Kratz7 Re: lotus flower sprouted ty tk - December 11th, 2006 at 06:11 PM
Thanks TK,

I'll get a bucket and give it a whirl....they say the lotus seed can be dormant for quite awhile....they do take a while to sprout but once it does it grows pretty quickly.....

I hope to see a flower someday....lol

[Linked Image]
Posted By: njoynit Re: lotus flower sprouted ty tk - December 14th, 2006 at 02:34 AM
I grew my lotus in one of them pink tubs they give you in hospital.I put about an inch of the gravel you use in fish tanks& used a larger rock to help keep my plant anchored down.
I sent some seeds into the fall fling.I have mine set out to start.glad you had luck with them!I just got my computer back.I haven't checked all my files.I had a fact sheet for growing from seed.Might search back in watergardens....I may have posted a link in the past.

I recieved a 1 yr tuber.It was about 8 inches wide.I imagine it grew in size.I just left my tub in place in pond.
© A Gardeners Forum [Archive]