A Gardeners Forum
Posted By: Nake 124 Peace Lily Question - November 29th, 2006 at 11:08 AM
I received a Peace Lily (Spathphyllum) recently and it has just started to flower. The plant was delivered with some greenish grass-like material above the soil. Should I remove this now? I have noticed that the tipas of 4 leaves have gotten brown. Am I watering this too much or not enough. I a real newbie at house plants. Thanks!
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Peace Lily Question - November 29th, 2006 at 12:22 PM
take the material off the top of the soil. only water it when the soil is dry to the first knuckle on your finger when you poke it in the soil, midway between the plant and the edge of the pot.

if your house is dry from heating, put a tray of water under the plant, but put something in the tray so the plant isn't sitting in the water, but above it.
Posted By: hisgal2 Re: Peace Lily Question - November 30th, 2006 at 11:55 AM
The peace lily doesn't like direct sun light either. Indirect is good. The leaves will get sun burnt if they are in direct light....although that is probably not your problem since just the tips are browning. ....and every once in a while, you should take a cloth and dust the leaves off. they are really good at collecting dust and the pores in the leaves can get clogged if there is too much dust.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Peace Lily Question - December 1st, 2006 at 01:44 AM
welcome to the forum!!

in addition to what the others said (and they are right on the mark!) let the water that you're going to use for the plant sit for at least 24 hours...so the chlorine can dissapate.

some plants are very sensitive to chlorine and the tips of their leaves can turn brown due to not letting the water sit before using it...on the other hand, brown tips can also be caused by watering too little, too smile

i store water in gallon water jugs...then i always have some on hand for watering the plants. (i've marked the containers 'plant food' even if i don't always add the food - wouldn't want someone (especially a kid) to pour some in a glass and drink it!!)
Posted By: Cliver_McGyver Re: Peace Lily Question - December 1st, 2006 at 06:13 AM
With my peace lily I use the saturate the soil method and even let it sit for 1 hour in the water then remove to new tray with a riser on it to let excess run off � I have to water it every 2 days � saturate it � it will wilt in 3 days but recover rapidly - My soil mix is more of an orchid/ bromeliaed mix so it drains off fast and stays quite moist; BUT NOT WATER LOGGED - no plant but the cat tail and lily pad love that abuse�

I am new here can I post a 6 x 6 inch photo here with 72 res�35 kb � like this

One of my favourite flowers � this shot 2 hours old�flowered again this year�

web page http://www.telusplanet.net/public/csmichie/avatar_mcgyver_crystal_pistal.jpg

ok maybe I can Not...
Posted By: Cliver_McGyver Re: Peace Lily Question - December 1st, 2006 at 09:27 PM
Why do I get strange symbols in my text

_ - + = ; ' test
Posted By: Dixie Angel Re: Peace Lily Question - December 1st, 2006 at 10:22 PM
Cliver, are you copying and pasting from a word program to post? That could be the reason for the strange symbols...

BTW, welcome to the forum...

Dianna
Posted By: hisgal2 Re: Peace Lily Question - December 2nd, 2006 at 12:27 AM
I can see it....that is a pretty pink color!!
Posted By: Nake 124 Re: Peace Lily Question - December 3rd, 2006 at 12:11 AM
Jiffymouse, Thank you for your prompt reply!
© A Gardeners Forum [Archive]