A Gardeners Forum
Posted By: Deborah L. Just bought a wisteria-need advice ASAP !!! - April 2nd, 2006 at 03:37 AM
Today I bought a wisteria, about 6 feet tall, and in beautiful bloom. I've wanted one for years, but never could find one blooming so I could be sure of the color I was getting. I'm thrilled !
Does anyone have experience with wisterias?
The nurseryman said not to plant it until it finishes blooming.
I'm going to grow it in a 24 inch decorative pot.
He said it can live as a bonsai, but big.
Please advise as to care, food, pruning, temps, etc !!!
The name of this wisteria is Texas Purple Japanese Wisteria.
Thanks !
Posted By: rozy221 Re: Just bought a wisteria-need advice ASAP !!! - April 2nd, 2006 at 09:58 AM
The only advice that I have is to keep on top of the pruning or it will overtake you! Other than that it has beautiful flowers. Oh ya-it only flowers from last years growth, so you really need to watch what you're pruning and when. Good luck!
Posted By: Deborah L. Re: Just bought a wisteria-need advice ASAP !!! - April 4th, 2006 at 07:37 AM
Thanks, Rozy. I'll be careful !
Posted By: SpringFever_dup1 Re: Just bought a wisteria-need advice ASAP !!! - April 4th, 2006 at 08:46 PM
I have one has not bloomed yet, mine is still to young, but I just take care of it like everything else... It does grow like crazy I am trying to train it in a weeping tree form.. Has a mind of its own LOL pretty though love mine
Posted By: Deborah L. Re: Just bought a wisteria-need advice ASAP !!! - April 4th, 2006 at 08:58 PM
What color is it? I have the lavendar one, called Texas Purple.
Posted By: SpringFever_dup1 Re: Just bought a wisteria-need advice ASAP !!! - April 4th, 2006 at 09:14 PM
I have a bright pink one.. I wanted a purple one but did not want to wait and figured it would be a little different because I see a lot of the purple ones..
Posted By: Deborah L. Re: Just bought a wisteria-need advice ASAP !!! - April 4th, 2006 at 09:45 PM
I've read that the pink and the white ones take alot longer to bloom. That's why I asked you what color it is.
Pink would be stunning and different, I agree.
All that I've read online says not to feed as that makes lots of leaves and delays flowering.
In fact, one site said that deprivation is key for blooming.
Posted By: SpringFever_dup1 Re: Just bought a wisteria-need advice ASAP !!! - April 4th, 2006 at 10:03 PM
Yeah that is what I have read as well can take up to 5 years to bloom.. but I am a patient gardener....
Posted By: FLOWERCHILD74 Re: Just bought a wisteria-need advice ASAP !!! - April 5th, 2006 at 07:21 AM
OOH..I LIKE THAT TREE..WOULD LIKE T HAVE ONE FOR MY NEW HOME!..UMM SORRY FOR SOUNDING DUMB,HOW BIG AND TALL CAN THEY GET REALLY...AND DOES THE ROOTS SPREAD WHERE WATER IS..LIKE A WEEPING WILLOW PER-SAY
Posted By: Deborah L. Re: Just bought a wisteria-need advice ASAP !!! - April 5th, 2006 at 08:26 AM
It's my first and I don't really know what it will do. I'm growing it as a bonsai, so it won't be able to send roots everywhere.
Spring, your patience will be rewarded ! I envy that-I have no patience at all and often buy huge plants as I can't bear to wait for seed !
Posted By: SpringFever_dup1 Re: Just bought a wisteria-need advice ASAP !!! - April 5th, 2006 at 08:36 PM
LOL mine grew like crazy!!! it is about 8 feet tall now and has grew about a million feet last year LOL just kidding really though they do grow fast..
As far as I can tell their a shallow root system,on account it tipped right over arbor and all during a snow storm... and you could see the roots. interesting vine I should take more pictures !! idea
Posted By: SpringFever_dup1 Re: Just bought a wisteria-need advice ASAP !!! - April 5th, 2006 at 08:42 PM
I would get a much bigger mature one next time.. After all you can only play the waiting game for so long I think I got mine 4 years ago...still no blooms mad laugh
Posted By: SpringFever_dup1 Re: Just bought a wisteria-need advice ASAP !!! - April 5th, 2006 at 08:58 PM
[Linked Image]
Posted By: SpringFever_dup1 Re: Just bought a wisteria-need advice ASAP !!! - April 5th, 2006 at 08:59 PM
[Linked Image]
Posted By: SpringFever_dup1 Re: Just bought a wisteria-need advice ASAP !!! - April 6th, 2006 at 04:20 AM
http://ohioline.osu.edu/hyg-fact/1000/1246.html
Hope this helps I got some great info here!!
Posted By: Deborah L. Re: Just bought a wisteria-need advice ASAP !!! - April 6th, 2006 at 05:07 AM
Wow ! It's trunk is so thick ! I like the twisting of the trunk. Mine has that twist, but it's as skinny as a straw.
Thanks again for the site, and these great pictures !
Posted By: SpringFever_dup1 Re: Just bought a wisteria-need advice ASAP !!! - April 6th, 2006 at 10:56 AM
Hey there the trunk will get big mine twisted after the first year and continued to get bigger and bigger... even though it has not flowered I still appreciate the leaves they are a pretty bush!!
© A Gardeners Forum [Archive]