A Gardeners Forum
Posted By: tkhooper A flower challenge - October 29th, 2006 at 09:26 AM
I have been asked to find a flower that can be grown indoors from seed, kept moist and flower within a short period of time.

Of course many seeds like to be kept moist while they are germinating but as far as which one may bloom most quickly after germination is beyond me. I wouldn't even know where to start looking. So if you can direct me in the right direction I sure would appreciate it.
Posted By: margaret e. pell Re: A flower challenge - October 29th, 2006 at 12:58 PM
I have grown Rebutia cacti that bloomed within a year of germination. I have some Adenium hybrid seedlings that are supposed to bloom at about a year (they're 3-4 mo. now). Both require a lot of sun and dry (more for the rebutia than the adenium) between waterings. I don't think I really grow anything that fits what you want, but I like to try.
Posted By: tkhooper Re: A flower challenge - October 29th, 2006 at 07:04 PM
Hi Margaret,

I'm thinking maybe a zinnia. It's taller than I would like for this but it does come up pretty quickly and will handle a little water everyday.
Posted By: dodge Re: A flower challenge - November 1st, 2006 at 10:05 AM
tkhooper

I will tell you ones I use.. not seeds , bulbs.

I just order more. Oxalis (shamrocks)
They grow really quick from tiny bulbs.. I have 4 types now , and love them all..
here is where I purchased them

www.brentandbeckysbulbs
dollar a piece, but they multiply like rabbits.

Hope this helps.

dodge lala
© A Gardeners Forum [Archive]