A Gardeners Forum
Posted By: cinta I could not resist Fiscus - November 24th, 2006 at 07:58 AM
I promised myself that I would not buy anymore houseplants. After bringing in all the plants I have to overwinter but I could not resist this one. I just combined it with my Christmas Cactus.
So it does not take up any more space.

CLICK TO ENLARGE
[Linked Image]
Posted By: angelblossom Re: I could not resist Fiscus - November 24th, 2006 at 10:15 AM
I break promises to my self like that too thumbup thumbup grinnnn
Posted By: preciousgreenfingers Re: I could not resist Fiscus - November 24th, 2006 at 05:12 PM
Your ficus looks stunning combined with the cactus. Now thats given me an idea thumbup
Posted By: SpringFever_dup1 Re: I could not resist Fiscus - November 24th, 2006 at 06:57 PM
Very nice Cinta...
I love the combination!! The verigated leaves are Awsome too!!! thumbup
Posted By: chenno Re: I could not resist Fiscus - November 25th, 2006 at 11:50 AM
Good idea, Looks good;-)
Posted By: Anonymous Re: I could not resist Fiscus - November 25th, 2006 at 03:11 PM
that's a beautiful ficus!!! i've never seen the variegated type.

it's looks fantabulous paired with the christmas cactus, too!!
Posted By: plants 'n pots Re: I could not resist Fiscus - November 26th, 2006 at 12:52 AM
They look perfect together - good eye!
They compliment each other so well! thumbup
Posted By: Anonymous Re: I could not resist Fiscus - November 28th, 2006 at 11:44 AM
thumbup very nice!
Posted By: Star Dancer Re: I could not resist Fiscus - November 29th, 2006 at 07:34 PM
Cinta,

I hate to splash cold water on your lovely arrangement, however, Christmas cacti and Ficus elastica may not be the best choice to plant together. Although both species thrive best in bright indirect light, Christmas cactus is a succulent and requires significantly less water than the Ficus. A way to get around it is to pot both plants individually, then place them in a larger container, covering the top with Spanish moss or something similar for aesthetics. Then you can water the plants individually.

Best of luck!
Star
Posted By: cinta Re: I could not resist Fiscus - December 3rd, 2006 at 02:28 AM
"splash cold water on your lovely arrangement"
Star not at all. It is a good point.
When you put an arrangement together you should try to match your arrangements that they all need the same growing,light,water conditions.

I have been doing it so long it works for me. Especially with the water needs. The roots of the bigger plant will take out the extra moisture and my plants seem to do better grouped together.

I brought in over 100 houseplants this Fall. It is strange what totally unrelated plants survive together. Just like in a garden. It is a trial and error.
© A Gardeners Forum [Archive]