A Gardeners Forum
Posted By: SassyManal pothos plant - May 1st, 2006 at 04:04 AM
Does anyone know what the little flies on my plant are? It's not bothering the plant i think but it is bothering me!! How do i get rid of them?
Posted By: Anonymous Re: pothos plant - May 1st, 2006 at 05:05 AM
Sounds like it might be fungus gnats maybe.....

fungus gnats 1

fungus gnats 2
Posted By: SassyManal Re: pothos plant - May 1st, 2006 at 06:20 AM
Well, they arn't black bugs. They look more like friut flies!
Posted By: Amany Re: pothos plant - May 1st, 2006 at 08:19 AM
Definitely sounds like fungus gnats. They only live for a few days. If you let the plant dry out as much as possible (without causing damage to the plant), the larvae might dry out and die.
Posted By: hjolicoeur Re: pothos plant - May 1st, 2006 at 01:07 PM
You can also set it outside for a few days. I have had good luck with that. Set it in a sunny spot and don't water for about 3 days.
Posted By: SassyManal Re: pothos plant - May 2nd, 2006 at 07:47 AM
I will try to not water for this week and see if they die. I tried setting in outside before and my plant got burnt..not trying that again!
Posted By: Amany Re: pothos plant - May 2nd, 2006 at 07:59 AM
If drying it out doesn't work, Will Creed once suggested to me that I sprinkle a thin layer of builder's sand on top of the soil to cut the larvae up. I ended up not having to do it. I let my plant dry out for about 10 days or so and that worked out fine for me.
Another thing he advised was to put some potato slices on top of the soil. After a few days the larvae get into the potato and you can then throw it away. Since the gnats I had went away with drying I didn't have to do that either, but he's very knowledeable so I'm sure it works.

Good luck.
Amanda
Posted By: SassyManal Re: pothos plant - May 5th, 2006 at 02:56 AM
The potato slices worked!! No more annoying flies! thxs everyone flw
© A Gardeners Forum [Archive]