A Gardeners Forum
Posted By: Sorathien planting orchids - April 1st, 2006 at 01:48 PM
since most orchids are epiphytic, would it be possible to use some wire or fishing line to attach an orchid to a piece of wood if i were going to keep it in a terrarium where it would stay nice and moist? once i find homes for my hermit crabs, i plan on turning their old 20g fish tank into a terrarium with my cattleya orchid and some other plants, and i was thinking it would be cool to get a piece of wood to go through the center of the tank with the orchids atached to it, with the other plants growing below it.
Posted By: CatherineC Re: planting orchids - April 26th, 2006 at 04:05 PM
yes, it is very possible to do this... it is called mounting.... alot of orchids are sold and kept in this fashion....
the tricky part is keeping mounted orchids thriving in a terrarium.... they need humidity, but, 90 percent or better humidity like in most terrariums, usually is not good.... also, they do need a bit of air movement which is hard to get in a terrarium and still keep a balance...
the lighting part can be tough as well.... check out tropiflora or black jungle for plants more suited for a terrarium environment....
thank you
© A Gardeners Forum [Archive]