A Gardeners Forum
Posted By: stricker Peach trees... - October 17th, 2006 at 10:27 AM
I would like to know if anyone knows how to start a peachtree from a seed from out of the hull.. we cracked the hull, planted the seed and it up and died... how do we do this correctly ??
Posted By: art Re: Peach trees... - October 22nd, 2006 at 06:55 AM
stricker,
different varieties require different amounts of chill hours.you need to put your seeds in a plastic bag with some moisture and store them in your refrigerature for the required number of chill hours.
then plant them in potting soil.
Posted By: Deborah L. Re: Peach trees... - October 22nd, 2006 at 07:53 AM
Art, I want a peach tree soooooooooooooo badly !
Posted By: stricker Re: Peach trees... - October 22nd, 2006 at 01:54 PM
art...
ty for the info... now , how many hrs do they need to chill ?? where can I find out pls ??
Posted By: DeepCreekLake Re: Peach trees... - October 22nd, 2006 at 08:03 PM
One word of warning about growing peach trees from a pit- it wont come out true to form! It could end up growing into something that tastes bitter or it could taste good. Its a long wait to find out. Most peach trees you buy are grafted, so that it grows true to the type of peach specified. You can always mail order a peach tree (barerooted trees) of a type you really want. Alot of catalogs will be doing fall shipments soon, as the trees are becoming dormant. Fall is a good time to plant, and it will be ready to grow come spring! Look at places like Stark Bros etc online.
Posted By: stricker Re: Peach trees... - October 23rd, 2006 at 12:10 AM
ty DeepCreekLake
I appreciate it
Posted By: art Re: Peach trees... - October 24th, 2006 at 06:24 AM
stricker,
first of all you need to know how many chill hours you get where you live.then you need to go to a nursery and buy a tree that will produce in your area.in your state you will need a variety that can
withstand the low temperatures.the nursery man should be able to answer all your questions.
i hate to give you bad news,but from a seed.it takes
years before they bear fruit and IF it does the fruit
might be inedible.buying a tree from a nursery is a win win situation. Good luck and keep us posted
PS.a tree from a nursery should give you fruit
in 1 to 2 years.
Posted By: art Re: Peach trees... - October 24th, 2006 at 07:00 AM
Deborah,
if you really want a peach tree,go to this sight.
they have over 80 different varieties.and they have one of the most helpful staff that i know of.i'm almost sure they will have something for your area.
[www.dave wilson] click on the images for a larger view.
Posted By: Deborah L. Re: Peach trees... - October 24th, 2006 at 07:50 AM
Thanks, Art ! thumbup
Posted By: stricker Re: Peach trees... - October 24th, 2006 at 10:57 AM
ty everyone... your Info was most helpful and very much appreciated...
huggs
Posted By: rainie Re: Peach trees... - October 24th, 2006 at 08:27 PM
Another good site for fruit trees is http://www.tytyga.com/. A word of warning - I have found that it is best to order trees that come from the similar zone which you live in, the tree is acclimated to that zone. For example, I love tyty's site, but they are in georgia and I am in Ohio - that's pretty risky especially if I want to plant in the fall up here (may be quite a shock coming from the south :rolleyes: ). I really like reliance peach - it's a great yielder and does great in cooler climates - plus it is a self pollinator - so you don't need two.
Posted By: stricker Re: Peach trees... - October 26th, 2006 at 07:18 PM
rainie,
ty for the Tip.
Posted By: DeepCreekLake Re: Peach trees... - October 27th, 2006 at 06:15 AM
Ive had good luck with Raintree Nurseries trees, all my pear trees I bought from them last Spring thrives, and grew well this year. I did have good luck with Stark Bros too. Stark Bros does sell a bunch of kinds Peach trees. Peaches are good because they are self fertile, you can get away with just planting one. They will fruit for about 20 years and then it stops producing fruit. They also take alot of pruning. This years green growth becomes next years fruiting wood. It will only produce fruit on that wood for one season. Its important to establish a framework by pruning first, then let your fruiting woods grow off the "Scaffolds"
© A Gardeners Forum [Archive]