A Gardeners Forum
Posted By: daylily77 Can Hostas grow back from broken roots? - October 17th, 2006 at 07:33 AM
Hi everyone,

I dug out 2 of my Hostas to give to neighbors, but I don't think I got *all* of the roots out of the ground (I got most though). My question is.. what are the chances of it growing back from the roots? I'm hoping that they won't because I'm planning on planting other things there. Thanks!
Posted By: kennyso Re: Can Hostas grow back from broken roots? - October 17th, 2006 at 08:17 AM
I'm pretty sure they won't grow back fomr those root bits. Pretty sure hostas are as vigorous as mint when it comes to propagation via root bits. Of course, I could be wrong! BTW what did you do with the hostas?
Posted By: daylily77 Re: Can Hostas grow back from broken roots? - October 17th, 2006 at 09:25 AM
Thanks, Kenny! I gave them to my neighbors. flw
Posted By: netty Re: Can Hostas grow back from broken roots? - October 18th, 2006 at 03:00 AM
I dunno daylily77 - it depends on how MUCH root was left there. We had 2 Hosta's stolen last fall (yes-STOLEN! The nerve of some people!) and this year there were 2 little Hosta plants growing where the others had been!
Posted By: daylily77 Re: Can Hostas grow back from broken roots? - October 18th, 2006 at 05:34 AM
Thanks for the info, Netty! I'm so sorry to hear about your Hostas being stolen. I'm glad that you got them back, though! I wonder if it was from the roots, or if maybe they dropped some seed when they were stealing them?
Posted By: netty Re: Can Hostas grow back from broken roots? - October 18th, 2006 at 06:11 AM
It must have been root not seed - I cut the stalks off as soon as they are done blooming. Also, I have grown Hosta from seed before...it takes a L O N G time to get them big enough to do anything with!
Posted By: johnCT Re: Can Hostas grow back from broken roots? - October 18th, 2006 at 06:20 AM
Like netty said, it really depends on how much root was left behind. Hostas have large rootballs depending on the maturity of the plant and if part of the rootball gets left it may grow back. If there were only feeder roots left behind, it will most likely not grow back.
Posted By: daylily77 Re: Can Hostas grow back from broken roots? - October 18th, 2006 at 01:38 PM
Thanks, Netty and John!
© A Gardeners Forum [Archive]