A Gardeners Forum
Posted By: LandOfOz A Funky Tomato - September 29th, 2006 at 10:39 PM
What is going on with my tomatoes? frown shk All my Roma II plants are briming with green tomatoes. Some of the tomatoes (both large ones and small) look like this.
[Linked Image]

There are more pictures in my album of this odd-ball tomato. What the heck is going on? We've had cooler temps and I've been watering regularly. No frost, or near-frost in the area. Only about 2-3 tomatoes on each plant (ranging from probably 30 to 10 tomatoes per plant) are affected by this. Is it a fungus, bacteria? Is the entire plant affected?
Posted By: johnCT Re: A Funky Tomato - September 30th, 2006 at 02:20 AM
Looks like it could be spotted wilt virus Sarah.

http://cahe.nmsu.edu/pubs/_h/h-242.html
Posted By: LandOfOz Re: A Funky Tomato - September 30th, 2006 at 04:47 AM
Thanks John, but Papito sent me this great link to a tomato troubleshooting page which was very helpful. I think it might just be that bacterial speck coming back from earlier this season. Not that we've had any rain, or that I use a sprinkler to spread the stuff, but, who am I to argue? I went ahead and pulled 2 of my smaller tomatoes, to help improve air circulation around my larger toms. I also removed any and all "infected" foliage--again. I called my local extension office and the lady I spoke with said that no matter what I do, I'll never be able to get rid of the speck because it is so "thick" in the area!! Lucky me!
© A Gardeners Forum [Archive]