A Gardeners Forum
Posted By: susanmwood organish foam on mulch - July 9th, 2006 at 06:30 AM
I am not much of a gardener myself, but I am watering plants for someone this summer while they are in Europe. Twice I have found an orangish foam-like substance (though it's dry) on the mulch in one area of the yard. It is only in about a 1 foot square area (not all over). Is this a fungus? Should I do anything about it? Thanks!
Posted By: Longy Re: organish foam on mulch - July 9th, 2006 at 08:17 AM
It is a fungus and it's not a problem. You can remove it if you want but it's just part of the breaking down process of the mulch. I wouldn't worry about it.
Posted By: afgreyparrot Re: organish foam on mulch - July 9th, 2006 at 10:54 AM
Glad to see this...
My daughter has that on her mulch, and wanted me to find out what it was.

Thanks!

Welcome to the forum, susanmwood..... wavey
Posted By: The Plant Doc Re: organish foam on mulch - July 17th, 2006 at 11:19 AM
Your problem is called "slime mold" it is a pretty interesting species of fungi. It is actually a colony of individual microscopic entities, and they will move the entire colony to seek out new food sources. Kinda like the Blob. laugh
It is very rare that slime molds to any damage, and they are just part of natures way of breaking down dead plant material.
Posted By: Squirrel Re: organish foam on mulch - July 18th, 2006 at 09:58 AM
Glad I came across this thread. A few years back, we were taking care of our son's yard and we came across what I now know was slime mold on the mulch around his newly planted pine trees. The one tree got brown on the one side. Do you think the mold had anything to do with it getting brown? Been wondering for years. Duh Sue
Posted By: merrillzone5 Re: organish foam on mulch - August 30th, 2006 at 01:18 PM
I'm glad i came across this topic also; saw this same thing last year and this year around August in my mulch in a few places. I was going to start a new topic about it ;but don't need to now! smile
© A Gardeners Forum [Archive]