A Gardeners Forum
Posted By: tkhooper Fall Fling Seed Exchange V - November 7th, 2006 at 05:09 AM
Hey all and here it is.

Today I decided to go ahead and fill Penny's and Kenny's envelopes and send them off. Just because the post office is being slow is no reason we should be right? So they are now winging themselves back to you. I hope you enjoy everything I picked for both of you.

Hey Partygirl I hope yours arrives soon.

So as soon as I update the master seed list and send it off to Cindy and everyones seeds come in we will be done with the Fall Fling 2006.

Then it will be time to dream of Spring Fling Round Robin 2007. And my trade box is already full of things for that one so it should be really good too.

Maybe I need to just buy land and put up a green house with electricity and an electric sleeping bag lol. I'd be happy.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Fall Fling Seed Exchange V - November 7th, 2006 at 06:27 AM
Partygirl You are absolutely hilarious! What a great idea! Send them back all the junk they send us and you get the benefit of knowing whether or not the mail man has gone! laugh
TK you are sure doinga great job, but I'm going to miss this ongoing post. lol You'll have to start a new one called cute mailman or something. wink
Posted By: cancolgirl Re: Fall Fling Seed Exchange V - November 7th, 2006 at 06:55 AM
You've all got me wound up and am now heading out to the mailbox to see if there is anything in there waiting for me. It's just so cold I didn't really want to go back out. Unfortunately I live in a new development and I don't get mail delivered directly to my house. Here we go..... wavey
Posted By: cancolgirl Re: Fall Fling Seed Exchange V - November 7th, 2006 at 07:06 AM
Just got back. brrr frown nothing yet. I got other stuff, but not what i was hoping to get. I guess i'll have to wait another day.
Posted By: PartyGirl Re: Fall Fling Seed Exchange V - November 7th, 2006 at 07:52 AM
Tammy, I posted this on another thread, but wanted to make sure you saw it.

You really, REALLY did a great job on the seeds! I can't believe I got all these different kinds of seeds in all these darling packages! I cannot tell you how many of these are things I wished I had seed of because I just want a plant or two.

And to all the participants -- thanks so much for sending in all those great things! My email is Limequilla, so all my packages say that instead of Party Girl. I figured it would be easier if you had questions about my seed.

Who-ooo-eee! The Queen is in the Counting House. Too bad about dinner tonight, honey.
Posted By: PartyGirl Re: Fall Fling Seed Exchange V - November 7th, 2006 at 07:55 AM
tcmers,

Yes, AND they have to pay for postage back, so it is as annoying to them to get it back as it is for me to get it. (And it annoys the right people, too -- the people who care about their bottom line.)

For years, my father sent all that kind of mail back -- I'm talking about the kind that comes with a pre paid envelope. All of it, including the envelope it came in. When the credit card companies got so aggressive, though, he just couldn't keep up with it all.
Posted By: sibyl Re: Fall Fling Seed Exchange V - November 7th, 2006 at 02:31 PM
Tammy
i think its a great idea to go ahead and send off Penny, and Kennys envlopes!
now i know what seeds came from party girl! i got 8 diffrent kinds! my aunt got all excited over the feverfew!- i got all excited over the lady bells! and the beauityberry bush! we were like kids at christmas!

can any one tell me what robe jmg meanes?

Tammy
it would be nice to live in a greenhouse!
Posted By: kennyso Re: Fall Fling Seed Exchange V - November 7th, 2006 at 09:15 PM
Robe JMG is short for robe japanese morning glory. I had some too, can't wait to try them out! Tammy, any news of ours yet? Thanks for deciding to send our first, I did put a few doubles inside my last packet.
Posted By: tkhooper Re: Fall Fling Seed Exchange V - November 7th, 2006 at 10:45 PM
Well we have a few more days of the mailman story. While we wait for the last few envelopes to arrive. To continue it after that I may have to revive Lady Huh lol.

I'm glad the seeds are bringing joy to everyone. I've got this list of seeds that are in my private stash that now needs a massive update lol. This should be fun. Maybe I'll wait until Penny and Kenny's packets arrive before I do that. Or maybe it would be better to do it in pieces. It's pretty messy right now.

I must admit that there were times when I would have liked to be able to clone seeds. Because there were some that I would have liked to send to several people. But it wasn't always possible. So I hope all the seeds provided a bountiful harvest so next fall there is even more of everything to share.

Kenny you are very welcome. I sent some bonus packets so hopefully you will enjoy them. I had to send you some Great Soloman's Seal. I'm thinking you can put it in a bible garden and I think I remember you being interested in that idea.

Hey Sibyl I'm glad your mom found something that made her happy. It's suprising how easy that is to do in the garden. I love having a garden.
Posted By: penny in ontario Re: Fall Fling Seed Exchange V - November 7th, 2006 at 10:47 PM
So are you sending out the seeds to us then Tammy?
You watch the day you send them....our's will show up!
Posted By: tkhooper Re: Fall Fling Seed Exchange V - November 7th, 2006 at 10:51 PM
Well I sent them out yesterday so Hopefully today is the day. That would be nice wouldn't it. And if Cancolgirl got hers today too. It is great figuring out what I want to do with all the new seeds.
Posted By: penny in ontario Re: Fall Fling Seed Exchange V - November 7th, 2006 at 10:53 PM
kissies laugh laugh laugh Thank you so much Tammy.....like i said...now that you have sent them, they will show up this week for you...BUT thats more for you thumbup
Thanks again Tammy and Thanks for doing an awsome job this time around too!!!
Posted By: sibyl Re: Fall Fling Seed Exchange V - November 8th, 2006 at 01:10 AM
Thanks Kenny! i was wonderin.
i cant wait till you and Penny get youe seeds!
Tammy's doing an aswome job! you'll love every thing she sends you.
Posted By: tkhooper Re: Fall Fling Seed Exchange V - November 8th, 2006 at 01:20 AM
Wow, would you believe I just finished my personal stash of seeds list and I'm up to 234 different varieties of seeds. That's awesome. I love the Fall Fling.

Now all I have to do is update my trade seeds list. That's going to be a wow'er too.
Posted By: penny in ontario Re: Fall Fling Seed Exchange V - November 8th, 2006 at 01:35 AM
laugh laugh laugh thumbup flw flw
Posted By: tkhooper Re: Fall Fling Seed Exchange V - November 8th, 2006 at 05:04 AM
Unhappily, I have to say,
Nothing came again today.

But there is always tomorrow. Hopefully I will have better news then.
Posted By: cancolgirl Re: Fall Fling Seed Exchange V - November 8th, 2006 at 05:31 AM
Nothing for me either. I was hoping.... oh, well more to look forward to. As soon as I get them I will try to germinate a couple of each. I have been trying this with all the seeds I've saved and I must say I am enjoying gardening in my basement. By Spring I won't have to go to Walmart or HD or any nursery because they'll be coming straight from my basement. That is huge saved money that I spent last year on established plants. Hoping to save this coming year and save more seeds varieties.
Posted By: tkhooper Re: Fall Fling Seed Exchange V - November 8th, 2006 at 05:06 PM
I envy you your basement. And your right that is a big money saver. I started seeds all over the apartment last year and only got a few things from the nursery that doesn't grow well from seed for me. Rosemary being a prime example lol.
Posted By: penny in ontario Re: Fall Fling Seed Exchange V - November 8th, 2006 at 09:50 PM
These darn things had better show up this week...i am getting so worried over them.
I should have sent them UPS.
Posted By: tkhooper Re: Fall Fling Seed Exchange V - November 8th, 2006 at 10:12 PM
Don't worry unless they aren't here by Christmas. Sometimes thing just get stuck in the system. It happens. Just enjoy your seeds when they arrive.
Posted By: penny in ontario Re: Fall Fling Seed Exchange V - November 8th, 2006 at 10:15 PM
I will and i appreciate you sending mine out even though my package hasnt arrived yet.
Thanks Tammy and again....you have done an awsome job with this swap kissies thumbup clp clp clp
Posted By: tkhooper Re: Fall Fling Seed Exchange V - November 8th, 2006 at 10:23 PM
Thanks Penny, I had a great time doing it.
Posted By: penny in ontario Re: Fall Fling Seed Exchange V - November 8th, 2006 at 11:22 PM
kissies thumbup
Posted By: tkhooper Re: Fall Fling Seed Exchange V - November 9th, 2006 at 02:21 AM
Hey Penny,

You were right! Your envelope arrived today. Great seeds. I see a couple that I just have to send to loz. And I love beans. I'm not sure I'll have a place for them but if I do I'll definitely be planting them.
Posted By: penny in ontario Re: Fall Fling Seed Exchange V - November 9th, 2006 at 02:23 AM
laugh laugh kissies clp I am so HAPPY that they got there....i just knew that once you sent mine to me, they would show up!!
Again...thanks for letting me know...now i cant wait to get mine!
Posted By: tkhooper Re: Fall Fling Seed Exchange V - November 9th, 2006 at 02:29 AM
Hopefully it won't take to long. Make sure that I got the right amount of seed packets in your envelope. I'm thinking that there aren't enough. But it could just be my mind playing tricks on me. It does that alot which is one of the reasons why I'm on disability.

I can't wait for you and Kenny to get your envelopes. I love hearing about what you think. I'm trying to make notes so that it will be even better the next time I host one of these.
Posted By: penny in ontario Re: Fall Fling Seed Exchange V - November 9th, 2006 at 02:32 AM
Have you gotten Kenny's yet? I know you were waiting for those ones too?
Posted By: tkhooper Re: Fall Fling Seed Exchange V - November 9th, 2006 at 04:48 AM
Not yet but there is time.
Posted By: penny in ontario Re: Fall Fling Seed Exchange V - November 9th, 2006 at 08:39 AM
You watch...they will show up tomorrow for you laugh laugh thumbup
Posted By: kennyso Re: Fall Fling Seed Exchange V - November 9th, 2006 at 08:45 AM
Originally posted by penny in ontario:
You watch...they will show up tomorrow for you laugh laugh thumbup
It better be there soon or else I'm going have to take apart the post office down the street! Glad you got Penny's, corssing my fingers for tomorrow!
Posted By: penny in ontario Re: Fall Fling Seed Exchange V - November 10th, 2006 at 04:45 AM
Anymore seeds show up Tammy?
Did Kenny's get there?
Posted By: tkhooper Re: Fall Fling Seed Exchange V - November 10th, 2006 at 04:56 AM
Would you believe I haven't even left the house today. Let me step outside and see if I see anything.

Ok I looked and there wasn't anything of interest. Just plain old junk mail.
Posted By: cancolgirl Re: Fall Fling Seed Exchange V - November 10th, 2006 at 01:24 PM
Waiting patiently in -6° celsius weather. Nothing yet. So, today I decided to organize the seeds I got from Parkseeds. I am hoping I will be able to use some of these for trade, but they don't put too many seeds in their packets. I can't wait to try a few during the winter months and see how they do. I will begin with Baby's Toes 'Frithia Pulchra' of which I only got 10 seeds. I also noticed I failed miserably at storing my Dahlia Tubers. They did not die, instead they started to grow roots and shoots. So now I am also growing Dahlia's in my basement.
I wonder if the mailman will leave something for me tomorrow.
Posted By: Triss Re: Fall Fling Seed Exchange V - November 10th, 2006 at 02:17 PM
Well I sure do hope the last of those seeds get to where they need to be getting.

Tammy, I just LOVE everything you sent me. Could not have done better by me at all. Cannot wait to get this stuff in the garden, it is going ot be so pretty next year!
Posted By: tkhooper Re: Fall Fling Seed Exchange V - November 10th, 2006 at 08:52 PM
Hi Cancolgirl,

I guess your package ended up in the same black hole as Kenny's did. I may have to resend if you don't get it by the end of the month. Please keep me posted.

Hey Triss,

I expect to see many many pictures next year. You can even post a landscape layout as soon as you set your plans. I love seeing what other people have in mind for their gardens.
Posted By: penny in ontario Re: Fall Fling Seed Exchange V - November 10th, 2006 at 09:33 PM
I hope they get there for you Tammy.....what is it with us getting stuff across the border!!!
Posted By: tkhooper Re: Fall Fling Seed Exchange V - November 11th, 2006 at 01:52 AM
It's strange because some comes across no problem and then some goes by barely live snail.

We can just hope that it improves with time. As the world gets smaller and smaller internations connections should improve.
Posted By: kennyso Re: Fall Fling Seed Exchange V - November 11th, 2006 at 10:48 AM
so mine didn't show up?
Posted By: cancolgirl Re: Fall Fling Seed Exchange V - November 11th, 2006 at 11:40 AM
Oh No! They haven't shown up yet (not worried, just impatient) It's a long weekend here and now I have to wait until Tuesday. We are not so lucky as you Tammy, no Saturday mail for us. I don't want to worry you and I think you've done a "Superstar" job here. I can't wait to see what I get.
Posted By: tkhooper Re: Fall Fling Seed Exchange V - November 11th, 2006 at 07:39 PM
Well I do have a list of what I sent. If you get to impatient just let me know and I'll post it. Nothing came in yesterday for the fall fling although I did get a back order from park seeds for some dark opal basil and a personal trade from Comfrey for some of her cherry and ivory zinnia. I'm really excited about the strain of zinnia that are short in stature but grow big blooms. Now I have seeds for two different ones in that catagory. One is a really really red and the other is the aforementioned cherry & ivory. I hope I'll hear of more over time and can trade for them.
Posted By: LandOfOz Re: Fall Fling Seed Exchange V - November 12th, 2006 at 02:07 AM
I doubt anyone will be getting mail today (Saturday) because it is Veteran's Day in the U.S. Hopefully, that will give the mail a rest and allow the missing packages to settle into the top of the "to be delivered" pile!
Posted By: tkhooper Re: Fall Fling Seed Exchange V - November 12th, 2006 at 04:35 AM
I hope so. Of course that means that the letter I put out for the postman yesterday didn't get picked up today. So now it will have to wait until monday.

I of course am having a reaccurance of that silly cold so I'm sitting here with the sniffles and the stuffed head and itchy eyes whaaaaaaaa.

Ok that's enough whining. Hope every one is getting ready for the holidays.

I have my turkey but have to get well enough to go get the pumpkin. I'm out of it. Can you believe that?
Posted By: penny in ontario Re: Fall Fling Seed Exchange V - November 13th, 2006 at 10:23 PM
No mail today because of Rememberance Day here.
Posted By: tkhooper Re: Fall Fling Seed Exchange V - November 14th, 2006 at 01:55 AM
I don't think we'll have mail here either. Which is just as well. It's cool outside and I don't even feel like going out there. Hopefully tomorrow will be better.
Posted By: penny in ontario Re: Fall Fling Seed Exchange V - November 14th, 2006 at 02:07 AM
I am hoping that you get the rest of them tomorrow thumbup flw flw flw flw
Posted By: tkhooper Re: Fall Fling Seed Exchange V - November 14th, 2006 at 03:20 AM
We did get mail today. And guess what...
Kenny yours arrived. I need to send you about another 15 seed packets. So look over my trade list and see which ones you would like most and those are the ones I will send you. Thankyou for the peony seeds and the rose seeds. I can't wait to get relocated so that I can plant those.
Posted By: penny in ontario Re: Fall Fling Seed Exchange V - November 14th, 2006 at 03:24 AM
laugh laugh laugh laugh I am glad that you got them Tammy....i was beginning to think that it was us from Canada, that we just werent meant to participate Duh laugh
Posted By: tkhooper Re: Fall Fling Seed Exchange V - November 14th, 2006 at 03:42 AM
Well I guess it just means we need to start earlier and extend our deadlines to cover the time in quarentine. Or whatever takes so long.
Posted By: tkhooper Re: Fall Fling Seed Exchange V - November 14th, 2006 at 03:43 AM
Cancolgirl your the last one left to get yours. I hope they show up soon.
Posted By: penny in ontario Re: Fall Fling Seed Exchange V - November 14th, 2006 at 04:42 AM
Good point Tammy and its definetly somthing to consider for the next time....having our's sent out earlier.
Posted By: kennyso Re: Fall Fling Seed Exchange V - November 14th, 2006 at 05:04 AM
Don't worry about the 15 packets, you can do what ever you want with them!
Posted By: tkhooper Re: Fall Fling Seed Exchange V - November 14th, 2006 at 05:27 AM
I'd like you to get them. If you would like I can send you a list of my doubles in my personal stash and you can pick from there. Does that sound like a deal?
Posted By: kennyso Re: Fall Fling Seed Exchange V - November 14th, 2006 at 05:37 AM
sure Tammy that sounds fine! Thanks a ton kissies kissies
Posted By: tkhooper Re: Fall Fling Seed Exchange V - November 14th, 2006 at 12:31 PM
Ok it may take me a day or two to go through them all but as soon as I do I'll pm you.
Posted By: penny in ontario Re: Fall Fling Seed Exchange V - November 14th, 2006 at 09:25 PM
I cant wait to get mine Tammy....and Thanks Again for doing and awsome job thumbup thumbup thumbup flw
Posted By: tkhooper Re: Fall Fling Seed Exchange V - November 15th, 2006 at 03:40 AM
Your very very welcome Penny.

Kenny don't let me forget about getting you that list. I can't do it today. I had appointments this morning and I have more this evening and in between I need a nap. But I don't think I have anything scheduled for tomorrow.
Posted By: tkhooper Re: Fall Fling Seed Exchange V - November 15th, 2006 at 09:00 PM
Hey Kenny,

I finished going through my personal stash of seeds. Here is a list of the doubles. I hope you find some seeds that you like in this list. Or a combination of this list and my trade list.

Cockscomb, red
Cosmo 'senstation'
Cosmo pink & white
cosmo mixed colors
Cosmo orange
cosmo 'bright lights'
cypress vine, red
catchfly
cinnamon basil
dill dusty miller
delphinium
green onions
german catchfly
hollyhocks white with pinkish tones
hollyhocks var. pink
hollyhocks
hummingbird mix
love-lies-bleeding
lettuce 'buttercrunch'
lettuce 'frisee'
lettuce 'scarole'
liatris 'blazing star'
leopard lily
malva zebrina
mums, miniature violet
mums yellow
red orange marigold
petunias mixed purples
petunias
green bell peppers
portulaca mixed colors
miniature snapdragon mixed
zinnia
wormwood
Posted By: cancolgirl Re: Fall Fling Seed Exchange V - November 15th, 2006 at 11:25 PM
Nothing as of yesterday. I will let you know if they come in the mail today.I've been busy with work stuff so it has kept me a little busy and not thinking about all those wonderful seeds that are in the package. Tammy, did I send out Salvia "Visat Red" seeds. (I should've kept a list of what I sent).If so, just to whoever got them I germinated some of the seeds in September, this is what they look like today. [Linked Image]
Posted By: tkhooper Re: Fall Fling Seed Exchange V - November 15th, 2006 at 11:41 PM
I don't think so cancolgirl. Those plants do look healthy. But I don't remember any salvia at all in the fall fling. But I could be wrong there might have been one or two. I don't have an alphabetical listing of all the seeds in the trade and with over 1000 packets it's hard to remember them all lol. It doesn't help that my memory is shot.

Thanks for the pictures though.
Posted By: cancolgirl Re: Fall Fling Seed Exchange V - November 16th, 2006 at 02:44 AM
whoohooo!!!!! clp clp clp It's here. I am happy. Got quite a few from my little wishlist. Thanks Tammy. A lot of surprises and one really good surprise, thanks to whoever put in the Dogwood seeds, I've been trying to get tree and bush seeds, so that was a nice treat. I will have to quit my job next spring to get everything ready for summer.
Posted By: tkhooper Re: Fall Fling Seed Exchange V - November 16th, 2006 at 05:18 AM
lol. I'm so glad they arrived. And I'm glad that you got some of the things that you wanted. I know what you mean about trying to get everything ready. Just the research for where would go good with what seems like a full time job and that's before I till the soil. Or fill the first starter tray lol. I'm glad they arrived.
Posted By: kennyso Re: Fall Fling Seed Exchange V - November 16th, 2006 at 08:46 AM
Tammy, I got my seeds today, thanks so much they made my day! So many differnet inds of seeds...now it's just a matter of looking for containers and cheap soil so I can fill all the containers! Dirt ain't cheap LOL! I've sent you a PM
Posted By: tkhooper Re: Fall Fling Seed Exchange V - November 16th, 2006 at 07:48 PM
Hey Kennyso I got your pm. Your so right about the price of dirt. That's why I started composting. It's much cheaper. Enjoy the seeds and I'll send the others out in just a little while. Take care.
Posted By: penny in ontario Re: Fall Fling Seed Exchange V - November 16th, 2006 at 09:08 PM
Guess what i got yesturday Tammy....all of my seeds that you sent.....i love them all.....great choices thumbup thumbup thumbup
Posted By: tkhooper Re: Fall Fling Seed Exchange V - November 16th, 2006 at 11:09 PM
Woohoo that means that everyone has received their seeds. I guess that means the fall fling is officially closed. I'll miss it. We'll have to start a string somewhere where we plan what we are going to do with all our goodies lol.
Posted By: penny in ontario Re: Fall Fling Seed Exchange V - November 16th, 2006 at 11:15 PM
I was thrilled to get some...Love lies Bleeding and the Wonder Egg seeds....i sat on the couch last night looking at everything and loved it all....just like Christmas laugh thumbup thumbup
Posted By: tkhooper Re: Fall Fling Seed Exchange V - November 17th, 2006 at 08:55 PM
Yes it is and so much fun.
Posted By: PartyGirl Re: Fall Fling Seed Exchange V - November 20th, 2006 at 01:33 PM
Tammy, I need help on a pack of seeds I got from person #9. They are called 'Pastel Pea Vines', but there are 3 latin names these could be....some are tropical and some are hardy to Z2.

If you know who #9 is, could you send them email and ask them to please go to this webpage at Dave's Plant Files and ask them which one it most closely resembles? (They have to scroll down)

One of them is an endangered species, but they all are wonderful...just need to know how to sao them.

Thanks,

http://tinyurl.com/yyzy8b
Posted By: tkhooper Re: Fall Fling Seed Exchange V - November 20th, 2006 at 07:16 PM
Hi PartyGirl, I sent off a pm and hopefully you'll have your information in a few days. I'm glad you seem to be enjoying your seeds.
Posted By: tkhooper Re: Fall Fling Seed Exchange V - November 21st, 2006 at 12:27 AM
Hi PartyGirl,

The following is the information available about the seeds you received. I'm sorry the picture didn't paste. I'm not all that computer literate.

Its not on those pages.BUT I have a photo.but no name.I was in a round robin vine seed tradeing group about 3 years ago & ended up with this.It was labled as pastel pea vine& was listed as attracting butterflys.

I did try searching it once.Closest I came was a flat pea vine,but seeds don't match,but flowers are similar.
Posted By: tkhooper Re: Fall Fling Seed Exchange V - November 21st, 2006 at 02:03 AM
Chermoni,

Thankyou so much for the chocolate. I love chocolate. I'm glad your enjoying your seeds. I hope to hear all about your success with the wonder egg seeds.
Posted By: PartyGirl Re: Fall Fling Seed Exchange V - November 23rd, 2006 at 02:32 PM
Ok. Thanks
Posted By: cancolgirl Re: Fall Fling Seed Exchange V - December 1st, 2006 at 12:06 AM
So I am germinating a few of the seeds from the seed swap. I sowed them Nov 22nd. And so far in less than a week, the love-lies-bleeding started germinating, I sowed 5 of these seeds, yesterday a second one broke thru. So pretty. I am waiting for the wonder egg & siberian iris to germinate. I also sowed poppy and coneflower seeds, and from those only the poppy broke out sometime between last night and this morning.

Sibyl thanks for the love-lies-bleeding. Hany idea how long it takes for it to flower. I know a little premature considering it just germinated, but I have nothing better to do during the winter months.
Posted By: sibyl Re: Fall Fling Seed Exchange V - December 1st, 2006 at 02:28 PM
i start my seeds in spring out side, about a week or so thy'll pop up, dont flower till late summer, never tried em inside, thumbup think i might try that! i live in a vally so all my flowers are late to bloom and early to die, compaired to the hill poeple eek laugh
© A Gardeners Forum [Archive]