A Gardeners Forum
Posted By: johnCT Everybody loves pics! - July 28th, 2006 at 12:33 PM
Here's a few I took this evening...

Latest shot of most of my plants...Aunt Ruby's German Green is the plant on the far right corner. Six and a half feet and still going! shk
[Linked Image]

Lucky Leprechaun in my main garden loaded with fruit...
[Linked Image]

Black from Tula has about 10 fruit on it so far...(disregard the flea beetle...It met it's maker soon after I snapped the shot...)
[Linked Image]

Black Cherry is loaded with fruit...
[Linked Image]

Mortgage Lifter has a couple large ones...
[Linked Image]

Largest fruit so far definitely goes to Omar's Lebanese. This puppy is 6 inches in diameter and still growing. This plant supposedly can yield 3 lb fruit at times...
[Linked Image]

Lime green salad is darkening up. Maybe another week or so for my first ever green-when-ripe...
[Linked Image]

Wish we weren't limited to 8 images per post...

Happy tomatoes to all...
Posted By: Triss Re: Everybody loves pics! - July 28th, 2006 at 12:59 PM
WOW John, those are AMAZING!!! Great crop!
Posted By: comfrey Re: Everybody loves pics! - July 28th, 2006 at 01:04 PM
WOW...Great looking tomatoes John!!!! muggs
Posted By: chenno Re: Everybody loves pics! - July 28th, 2006 at 01:13 PM
thumbup fried green mators..looks awesome!
Posted By: shanbear Re: Everybody loves pics! - July 29th, 2006 at 02:20 AM
thumbup Just beautiful John! flw
Posted By: ShirlS Re: Everybody loves pics! - July 29th, 2006 at 02:23 AM
Beautiful tomatoe's John!! muggs

Shirl
Posted By: weezie13 Re: Everybody loves pics! - July 29th, 2006 at 02:47 AM
Those are B~E~A~U~T~I~F~U~LLLLLLLLL!!! muggs
Gosh, I wish mine were that big!!! eek
Posted By: johnCT Re: Everybody loves pics! - July 29th, 2006 at 03:22 AM
Weezie, time to move away from the frozen tundra to a warmer climate. laugh
Posted By: weezie13 Re: Everybody loves pics! - July 29th, 2006 at 03:45 AM
Unfortunately, I can't blame it ALL on the frozen tundra.. the other half is meeeeeee kissies thumbup
Posted By: johnCT Re: Everybody loves pics! - July 29th, 2006 at 04:04 AM
Oh I can definitely relate to that with two little ones at home myself. Unfortunately the time comes out of the gardening time.
Posted By: ChristinaC Re: Everybody loves pics! - July 29th, 2006 at 04:19 AM
Beautiful!! Healthy!! flw Trade ya!? wink
Posted By: Tonya Re: Everybody loves pics! - July 29th, 2006 at 04:23 AM
Looking GREAT, johnCT! thumbup

One day I will be able to get a maid and the girls will be grown and I can be a FULLTIME gardener. (Hubby suggested I try to take a few classes at the local college...If he only knew what he just started! laugh laugh )
Posted By: LandOfOz Re: Everybody loves pics! - July 29th, 2006 at 05:05 AM
What a beautiful garden! Definately something that I need to be aspiring too!
Posted By: Bestofour Re: Everybody loves pics! - July 30th, 2006 at 03:14 PM
Don't let Cindy see those green tomatoes.

Nothing like a tomato sandwich.
Posted By: peppereater Re: Everybody loves pics! - July 31st, 2006 at 02:02 PM
Things are looking up some, but I'm losing fruit to bugs and heat. Here are the latest pickings...the biggest one is a Mortgage Lifter, one pound plus. Three are Delicious (I haven't tasted one yet,) one's a Brandywine, and there are a couple of German Red Strawberries. Notice the reading glasses for scale.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Triss Re: Everybody loves pics! - July 31st, 2006 at 02:06 PM
Yummy! Looks good Dave!
Posted By: weezie13 Re: Everybody loves pics! - July 31st, 2006 at 02:19 PM
What time is eatin' time Dave?????? wink wink
Posted By: Wrennie Re: Everybody loves pics! - July 31st, 2006 at 02:38 PM
eek The deer reached over my back fence and chopped the tops off all my maters on the back row mad
Yours look great John. Let us know how the flavor of the green when ripe ones are.
Posted By: johnCT Re: Everybody loves pics! - July 31st, 2006 at 02:40 PM
Awesome fruit Dave! I still have yet to get any color on any large fruit. Black cherry is finally ripening. Should finally taste those this week. Sungold is ripening a few a day now. Those things are SOOOOOO good. If any of you haven't tried sungold for a sweet cherry tomato, you HAVE to grow it next year. SFT is finally ripening and so is Citron Compact. That Omar's that I posted seems to get bigger and bigger every day. Can't wait for one of the big ones to ripen. Got the bacon all ready!
Posted By: peppereater Re: Everybody loves pics! - July 31st, 2006 at 02:59 PM
Are you growing Black Plum, John? I've been amazed how good those little buggers are.
Posted By: johnCT Re: Everybody loves pics! - July 31st, 2006 at 03:00 PM
No I'm not, but from your posts about it I may try it next year.
Posted By: peppereater Re: Everybody loves pics! - July 31st, 2006 at 03:13 PM
I'll have to try Sungold next year, but what's all this buzz about Black Cherry?
Posted By: johnCT Re: Everybody loves pics! - July 31st, 2006 at 11:25 PM
Originally posted by peppereater:
but what's all this buzz about Black Cherry?
I'll be able to tell ya in a few days... laugh Mine has tons of fruit on it and they're finally getting ripe.
Posted By: comfrey Re: Everybody loves pics! - August 1st, 2006 at 12:16 AM
Very nice looking mators Dave!!!!!!!
Posted By: Bestofour Re: Everybody loves pics! - August 1st, 2006 at 01:00 PM
John, you'll be having fresh tomatoes at Thanksgiving by the looks of things. My brandywines were green forever it seemed. I was beginning to wonder if I had planted green tomatoes.
Posted By: peppereater Re: Everybody loves pics! - August 2nd, 2006 at 07:53 AM
Bestofour, have you grown Brandywines before? I have never tasted a better tomato. I have only picked one this year and am waiting for it to get fully ripe.
John...update us on Black Cherry!
Wrennie...did the deer leave enough for a crop?
Posted By: johnCT Re: Everybody loves pics! - August 3rd, 2006 at 12:09 AM
Haven't picked them yet Dave. Probably today or tomorrow. I did pick a citron compact last night. A salad size, bright yellow beauty that was delicious. Got a picture of it yesterday that I'll post later.
Posted By: Bestofour Re: Everybody loves pics! - August 3rd, 2006 at 11:58 AM
Dave, I've never grown Brandywine and you're right. They are delicious. And how does that German Green taste? I can't imagine.
Posted By: Wrennie Re: Everybody loves pics! - August 3rd, 2006 at 11:52 PM
Yes there are still some blossoms. i should get something out of them. i put some old refrigerator grills/bread trays ( Duh ) flat on the ground behind the garden so the deer wont step there anymore. Now I need one for where the beans are going on the outside of the fence, and the cukes, and the mystery gourd/pumpkin... perpl
Posted By: Bestofour Re: Everybody loves pics! - August 6th, 2006 at 12:34 PM
I have a friend who put out 30 tomato plants for the deer. laugh They haven't gotten 1 tomato.
Posted By: comfrey Re: Everybody loves pics! - August 6th, 2006 at 03:14 PM
I have found out the hard way...The way to keep deer away from your plants-veggies or flowers (trees & bushes)Take a bar of soap and shave it off into curls and spread around the plants or put them in an old nylon stocking shk oppps tells how old I am...I mean panty hose laugh laugh And hang them around the plants or could be placed on the ground around the plants.
Posted By: johnCT Re: Everybody loves pics! - August 7th, 2006 at 11:29 PM
More recent pics...

this one is a large one of my harvest from my daughter's first birthday party yesterday so I'll link to it...there's sungolds, black cherries, a kimberly, lucky leprechaun, two GMG's, and a large mortgage lifter in the bottom right....also some jimmy nardello and a carmen pepper and a yellow squash..

click here

my first green-when-ripe....grub's mystery green...
[Linked Image]

and here's a poor pic of citron compact...

[Linked Image]
Posted By: comfrey Re: Everybody loves pics! - August 8th, 2006 at 06:58 AM
Nice looking crop you have there John!!!!! thumbup So how are the Black Cherries???? I had started some Black plum, something beyond my control caused me to not get them in the ground ters So I lost the plants, So maybe I will try again next year.
Posted By: johnCT Re: Everybody loves pics! - August 8th, 2006 at 07:17 AM
They were very good Comfrey. Slightly on the large side of a cherry tom as you can see in the side by side pic with the sungolds, but definitely worth growing again. VERY large plants. The one plant I have has grown up and over a six foot tall mesh cage.
Posted By: comfrey Re: Everybody loves pics! - August 8th, 2006 at 01:46 PM
They look delicious (the Black cherry) But all of them look yummy!!!
Posted By: ChristinaC Re: Everybody loves pics! - August 9th, 2006 at 12:10 AM
Everything looks soooo good!! I've still had hardly any red tomatoes! I've picked a lot of peppers (sweet bell, chilis and jalapenos) but none of them have turned red either. I'm beginning to get a wee bit impatient. I'll post pics as soon as I have enough worth showing.

Great job John (as expected!!). thumbup
© A Gardeners Forum [Archive]