A Gardeners Forum
Posted By: myndful Braiding Houseplants?? - November 3rd, 2006 at 02:10 AM
Hi All,

I hope someone can help me with this crazy idea I have...

We're getting married on New Year's Day. We would like to do a Unity Braid Ceremony, so that my son is included in the wedding. I thought it would be really cool to use a houseplant and some silvery cord for the braid part of it, then wrap the braid around a heart-shaped form.

So...my dilemma is, what kind of houseplant to use? I know Ivy is a traditional wedding plant, but I don't like the look of most kinds. Are there any unusual, hard-to-kill houseplants that you would recommend? The vines would need to be pretty long for this idea to work...
Posted By: tkhooper Re: Braiding Houseplants?? - November 3rd, 2006 at 09:10 PM
Purple Passion Plant is a nice vine for topiary. So is Pathos. Just to mention a few. Araibian Jasmine is a traditional wedding vine also and it has a lovely smell. Best Wishes on your wedding.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Braiding Houseplants?? - November 5th, 2006 at 08:27 AM
I don't have much insight here, but what a neat idea. thumbup
Posted By: dodge Re: Braiding Houseplants?? - November 6th, 2006 at 09:31 AM
Sounds good to me.
Good Luck in your marriage. luv
dodge
Posted By: myndful Re: Braiding Houseplants?? - November 6th, 2006 at 07:39 PM
Thanks, everyone...

I think we're going to go a little bit different than what I originally envisioned. The new idea is to do the braid with silvery rope, with wire inside it, and then form it into a circle or heart - then plant it into a pot of ivy. We'll still have the "traditional" ivy, and the unity braid, but I feel a bit safer about it lasting...
Posted By: gomerp618 Re: Braiding Houseplants?? - November 12th, 2006 at 08:01 AM
I think pothos would be good for this too.. mine have grown to have like 5 foot of plant hanging from them and stand up to my cats and everything.
© A Gardeners Forum [Archive]