A Gardeners Forum
Posted By: ND farm girl Shrubs needed here - what to plant? - September 8th, 2006 at 07:14 AM
This is the east side of my house - this was taken earlier this spring. I have a lot of perenials that I have mapped out and/or have planted here now and planting this fall, but need some sort of shrub in the back - any idea? Some of the perenials are cone flowers, phlox, stella lilys, sedum, hardy hibiscus, baby's breath, shasta daisy, lisianthus, scabiosa, tree peony, delphinium, poppies, mountain coneflower, russian sage, columbines, and giant alium. Some of the annuals I have planned are cosmos, pestemons, snapdragons, etc.

I'm not good at picking out shrubs. There is a sunroom just to the right of this, I think I am going to put a few long-flowering minature lilacs that get about 3-4 feet tall. Any ideas???

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Shrubs needed here - what to plant? - September 8th, 2006 at 11:26 AM
is it east/west/north/south? how much sun does the area get - if partial sun, what times of the day are sunny and for how long?

are you looking for flowering shrubs or just leafy? or both?

can you post a pic of how the area looks with the flowers you've already planted?
Posted By: patches1414 Re: Shrubs needed here - what to plant? - September 8th, 2006 at 02:24 PM
I am going to put a few long-flowering minature lilacs that get about 3-4 feet tall.
Patty, I'm assuming that you're probably talking about the Dwarf Korean Lilac, am I correct? Duh I know there's a Dwarf Lilac 'Josee', but I think it gets about 5 or 6 feet tall. I have the Dwarf Korean Lilac and I love it! Duh but I believe most of these are hardy to zone 4.
Posted By: ND farm girl Re: Shrubs needed here - what to plant? - September 8th, 2006 at 05:21 PM
Joclyn - east side - sun all day.

I've just put in some timbers to raise the back half a bit to get some height.

I love lilacs! Thought having them by the front door/walkway would be great! Where I used to work, we had them at the front door and you could smell them all the time!

Thanks for the list of some ideas patches - spirea snow storm, I just bought 3 of them at Lowes the other day for $3.33 for an area in the front lawn and 3 of another kind (pink) spirea!

I'd like flowering - but I think I need to think more about just greenery - since I'm all about flowers!!! smile

Thanks!
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Shrubs needed here - what to plant? - September 8th, 2006 at 10:55 PM
butterfly bush...can be left to grow tall or can be trimmed back to keep it at a lower/more managable height.

any of the spiria will do - there's regular and dwarf types.

if you like azalea, there are lots of new varieties that have nice flowers. the flowers appear in early spring and don't last too long...you're left with a nice green bush for the rest of the year...nice backdrop for your flowers.

burning bush is a really nice one too...it's lovely in the fall!

give me some time...i'll come up with some more ideas for you smile
Posted By: patches1414 Re: Shrubs needed here - what to plant? - September 9th, 2006 at 02:57 AM
I'd like flowering - but I think I need to think more about just greenery - since I'm all about flowers!!!
Me too, Patty, wink until I got addicted to hostas and ferns but they are shade plants. I just can't seem to get enough hostas and they are coming up with so many different varities every day! eek

I forgot to mention Butterfly Bush! I love clp clp
Posted By: Triss Re: Shrubs needed here - what to plant? - September 9th, 2006 at 03:11 AM
Japanese Barberry is an awesome shrub. It is colorful all year long and goes from green to pink to bright pink. Very pretty.
Posted By: Deborah L. Re: Shrubs needed here - what to plant? - September 9th, 2006 at 04:10 AM
Patty ! At least one gardenia !
Posted By: patches1414 Re: Shrubs needed here - what to plant? - September 9th, 2006 at 05:00 AM
Deborah, I'm still waiting for Patty to tell us what zone she's in! Duh I'm not sure a Gardenia would be hardy where she's at since they're only hardy to zone 7b, but I'm really not sure! Duh I know they are not hardy here frown because I would have them all over my yard if they were. laugh laugh I love them angell
Posted By: ND farm girl Re: Shrubs needed here - what to plant? - September 9th, 2006 at 07:08 AM
Gardenia - nope, not me, zone 3/4, North Dakota. eek

I picked up two pretty Wine and Rose shrubs today, AMONG A BUNCH OF OTHER THINGS! grinnnn
Posted By: patches1414 Re: Shrubs needed here - what to plant? - September 9th, 2006 at 07:24 AM
Thanks, Patty! wink I kinda figured you were colder than me and that's why I listed shrubs hardy to zone 4, thumbup but the zone 3 surprises me. shk
Posted By: Deborah L. Re: Shrubs needed here - what to plant? - September 9th, 2006 at 09:37 AM
OK, maybe an indoor gardenia if you like them.
What other things? We wanna know ! laugh
Posted By: patches1414 Re: Shrubs needed here - what to plant? - September 9th, 2006 at 10:21 AM
Deborah, it doesn't matter if it's an outdoor gardenia or not. :rolleyes: Gardenias do not survive outdoors in zones lower then zone 7b. frown
Posted By: Deborah L. Re: Shrubs needed here - what to plant? - September 9th, 2006 at 12:41 PM
I know, they're tropical.
I meant as a houseplant.
Did you find any info on the Marguerite felicia yet? I left you a post in the other thread about it.
Posted By: patches1414 Re: Shrubs needed here - what to plant? - September 9th, 2006 at 12:49 PM
Deborah, I had a beautiful Gardenia for years in my office and it was awesome! thumbup Everyone who came in commented on it! Whenever it was blooming the smell would fill the room and it was heavenly! wink I loved that plant and it got to be quite large! smile
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Shrubs needed here - what to plant? - September 9th, 2006 at 01:12 PM
Spiraea alba (meadow sweet)
Spirea trilobata (threelobe spirea)
Syringa species (lilac)
Amelanchier alnifolia (saskatoon, western serviceberry, Juneberry)
Lonicera x xylosteoides `Clavey's Dwarf' (Clavey's Dwaft honeysuckle)
Prunus americana (American plum)
Clematis ligusticifolia (clematis)
Clematis virginiana (virgin's bower)

all of these are native to nd, so they would all do well for you
Posted By: merrillzone5 Re: Shrubs needed here - what to plant? - September 25th, 2006 at 04:36 AM
Here is another approach that you may be interested in. Our landscaping was done by a local professional nursery about 7 years ago. We decided on shrubs that would bloom incrementally throughout the growing season; with evergreen for the winter. Here is a list to consider of which I think can grow in your Zone 3to4 area.
"Miss Kim" Lilac (Flagrant Lilac blooms in Spring)
Saint John's Wort( Yellow blooms in early Summer)
Caryopteris (Deep blue blooms in late Summer)
Burning Bush (Deep red foliage in early Fall)
Broadmore Juniper ( Evergreen for year round greenery).
Also a Buddelia (Butterfly Bush) acts very much like a Caryopteris. Seeing the plants develop over the last 7 years has been a joyful and an enlightening experience. Do a little research on these and see what you think.
Good Luck!
Posted By: M. D. Vaden of Oregon Re: Shrubs needed here - what to plant? - September 26th, 2006 at 12:51 PM
I liked the suggestion of Spiraea. The texture is nice.

Crimson pygmy barberry is nice.

The other day, I saw a Hebe - so I was told - that was new to me. It was called 'Quicksilver'.

Nice little form.
Posted By: neko nomad Re: Shrubs needed here - what to plant? - September 30th, 2006 at 08:36 PM
Here's a link which may help, ND: North Dakota Tree Handbook

I have a bush cherry, Prunus Tomentosa aka Nanking Cherry, qhich is listed there, and is an attractive feature in my botanical style back yard.
[Linked Image]
Click on picture to see it growing up against Pasture Rose Rosa Carolina in bloom.

Can you get some kind of idea as to what to try from neighboring gardens ?
© A Gardeners Forum [Archive]