A Gardeners Forum
Posted By: Mandy N. Moving a Hosta??... - May 18th, 2006 at 03:03 AM
Hello. I was wondering if anyone thought it is a good/bad idea to move a hosta this time of year. I have done some re-arranging of my shade garden, and I would like to move this plant about a foot. Does anyone have any suggestions?? Thanks for the help! I'll have to post pictures, I think it turned out great!
Posted By: slredmond Re: Moving a Hosta??... - May 18th, 2006 at 04:12 AM
Dig it up - move it! Very hardy, and it's not too hot yet. Dig a good-sized hole, mix in some organic matter, and plop it in with a good drink. If it's an older plant, is it large enough to divide?
Posted By: Mandy N. Re: Moving a Hosta??... - May 18th, 2006 at 04:27 AM
It is only a few years old, but it does have several stems coming out. I could probably divide it without any problem. Thanks for the advice!
Posted By: Mandy N. Re: Moving a Hosta??... - May 18th, 2006 at 04:28 AM
Thanks again!
Posted By: slredmond Re: Moving a Hosta??... - May 18th, 2006 at 04:31 AM
No problem! I am a hosta addict, and I don't want to be cured! Last year I bought about eight miniatures - talk about cute. They are going in the kids' fairy garden. If your hosta is sending up a half dozen shoots or so you could divide and still have a nice-sized plant. What kind is it?
Posted By: Mandy N. Re: Moving a Hosta??... - May 18th, 2006 at 04:34 AM
I am not sure of the variety, it has solid green leaves that have ridges. It does send up white blossoms in a few more months. It definatly has at least six shoots on it. So, that should be easy enough to divide. I bought a cute miniature gold rimmed one that I want to put on either side of this other one. But it needs to be centered!!
Posted By: johnCT Re: Moving a Hosta??... - May 18th, 2006 at 06:19 AM
Hostas can handle just about any abuse you can give it and still come back. Last summer I dug up one of the many hostas I have of one variety and left the root ball behind the fence at the back of my property. It survived just fine and is still sending up shoots this spring.
Posted By: Mandy N. Re: Moving a Hosta??... - May 18th, 2006 at 06:50 AM
Great news! I didn't know that they were that hardy. I know all about my iris, those things are HARDY!!
Posted By: slredmond Re: Moving a Hosta??... - May 18th, 2006 at 11:47 PM
Can you post a picture? We'd like to see it!
Posted By: Mandy N. Re: Moving a Hosta??... - May 19th, 2006 at 01:52 AM
http://www.kodakgallery.com/Slideshow.jsp?Uc=axeyuoo1.ce3pju4x&Uy=-ooqsbx&Upost_signin=Slideshow.jsp%3Fmode%3Dfromshare&Ux=0&mode=fromshare&conn_speed=1

Copy and paste this website to see a slide show. The actual hosta in question is inside the courtyard, but not in the show. I don't know why I forgot to add that, but I am at work right now. I will post the pic when I get home later tonight. Thanks!

I have a new question...... Can a Lupine survive the shade? I know a lot of sun loving plants will do well, but I was wondering about this one. Thanks again..
Posted By: slredmond Re: Moving a Hosta??... - May 19th, 2006 at 04:18 AM
REALLY pretty! Great job. Maybe Sum & Substance or Elegans? Both are BIG and rippled. But - S&S is more gold. Elegans has the white flower. http://www.hostalibrary.org/e/e.html

I'd "google" the lupine and see what you find about shade.
Posted By: patches1414 Re: Moving a Hosta??... - May 19th, 2006 at 04:34 AM
I am a hosta addict, and I don't want to be cured! Last year I bought about eight miniatures - talk about cute.
Sandy, I can really relate to this and I'd have to say I'm a Hosta addict too! wink I can still remember when I thought Hostas were boring, but then I discovered all the different varieties. thumbup Two years ago I bought several of the miniature Hostas and I love them. luv
Posted By: Mandy N. Re: Moving a Hosta??... - May 19th, 2006 at 06:50 AM
Yes, I do think it is the Elgans. I had no idea that there were so many to chose from!! My local Lowes doesn't carry all of those. I'm sure I could find them around somewhere. Thanks for the reference!
Posted By: johnCT Re: Moving a Hosta??... - May 19th, 2006 at 07:31 AM
Yeah, looks like Elegans to me. Too green to be S&S and not blue enough to be Halcyon.
Posted By: patches1414 Re: Moving a Hosta??... - May 19th, 2006 at 08:15 AM
I believe Lupine usually need full sun, so I doubt they will flourish in the shade. frown I know they like a sandy, well-drained soil, and I've found they will not do very well in the heavy, clay soil we have around here frown unless the soil is amended.
Posted By: slredmond Re: Moving a Hosta??... - May 19th, 2006 at 10:38 PM
Patti- Glad I'm in good company!
Posted By: patches1414 Re: Moving a Hosta??... - May 20th, 2006 at 04:57 AM
Sandy, are you talking about the clay soil? Duh
Posted By: slredmond Re: Moving a Hosta??... - May 20th, 2006 at 11:01 AM
Patti - Well that (nasty clay), but the hosta addiction!!
Posted By: patches1414 Re: Moving a Hosta??... - May 20th, 2006 at 04:34 PM
Well Sandy, you're in real good company. wink The clay is certainly the pits, eek but I have all of my garden beds amended. So the only place I have a problem is with my lawn. frown Hostas certainly can be addicting, but it's such a nice addiction! laugh laugh
Posted By: Mandy N. Re: Moving a Hosta??... - May 22nd, 2006 at 05:37 PM
thanks everyone for all of the helpful information.
© A Gardeners Forum [Archive]