A Gardeners Forum
Posted By: obywan59 Osage orange correction - November 5th, 2006 at 01:49 AM
I just received a PM from a new member asking about my "osage orange marmalade" I had posted about back in January. After re-reading the topic, I realized I had made a mistake. I had actually made the marmalade out of Trifoliate orange (poncirus trifoliata), not Osage orange (maclura pomifera). Osage orange is not considered suitable for human consumption, although it is used as an insect repellant!

I have both of these trees, they both are citrus-like, both have thorns, and both would make excellent barrier hedge rows. Hence the confusion. This just goes to show the value of using scientific names as well as common names. confused
Posted By: roflol Re: Osage orange correction - November 10th, 2006 at 01:28 PM
Darn. Now *that* would have made for some spectacular recycling brownie points in my neighborhood! Nice name, by the way, but you spelled it wrong. laugh

Terri
Posted By: roflol Re: Osage orange correction - November 11th, 2006 at 06:33 AM
^
|
|

I was just giving you trouble about your first name, Terry. Don't you get it spelled wrong all the time? I know I do. Sorry, I was getting goofy last night. nutz

Terri
Posted By: obywan59 Re: Osage orange correction - November 12th, 2006 at 12:58 AM
That's okay, I knew you were joking. At first I thought you meant "obywan", but then I saw your name. laugh
© A Gardeners Forum [Archive]