A Gardeners Forum
Posted By: Shell Rieger Begonia - July 11th, 2006 at 10:06 AM
Hello, I was wondering if anyone has ever grown Rieger Begonia outside in the garden or pot? I have read just about everywhere that they are house plants, and best grown inside. Can I grow it outside? If so, in shade?
Posted By: TulsaRose Re: Rieger Begonia - July 12th, 2006 at 08:02 AM
Shell, from what I've been reading lately, I don't think your Rieger would do well with the outside temps in Mississippi.

Copied this from a website for the care of Rieger Begonia...

"Rieger Begonia

A bright location is preferred. Avoid full sunlight but keep near a sunny window. Moderately moist soil is preferred. Water thoroughly when soil surface feels dry to the touch. Drain excess water in saucer at the base of the pot to prevent root rot and protect furniture. Moderate temperatures are ideal: 65-70°F (18-21°C) daytimes and 60-65°F (15-18°C) nights. Avoid excessively hot or cold locations. Do not mist foliage late in the day. KEY TIP FOR SUCCESS: Bright light is required for continued flowering."
Posted By: Shell Re: Rieger Begonia - July 12th, 2006 at 10:19 AM
Hey Rosie, thanks so much for responding! And I appreciate the info. It really does get hot here. Well I have a great spot for it in the kitchen, it will brighten my days there, instead of outside like all of my other beauties. Thank you very much!
© A Gardeners Forum [Archive]