A Gardeners Forum
Posted By: Deepanwita Fall plants - September 10th, 2006 at 04:32 AM
Hello everyone, this spring was my first attmpt to do container gardening in a west facing balcony in Houston, TX. Overall I had more or less a successful harvest with all the inputs that I got from thi forum.
My tomato plants have finished bearing, and have died, so I cut all the branches today.
I have a few questions:
1) hould I preerve the container with the tomato plant roots? I cut the branches off but not the roots. Will they grow again?
2) If the plant won't grow back, what do you suggest that I plant in those empty containers? What are some of the good fall plant, irrespective of fruit and veggies.
3) Do I need to change the soil in the containers in order to replant?

Thanks a bunch as always for your help.

-Dee
Posted By: tkhooper Re: Fall plants - September 12th, 2006 at 09:38 PM
No the tomatoes won't grow back. I'm sorry that they died. They can be overwintered or cuttings taken for them and those overwintered with a little work. But since they are gone then I would suggest throwing that soil on the compost pile to be reconditioned and putting new potting soil in your container. Depending on your fall temperatures you could try things like loose leaf lettuce, spinach, borage or other cool whether crops.

Or if you would like to do Mums now is a great time to start.
Posted By: kennyso Re: Fall plants - September 13th, 2006 at 03:49 AM
Unfortunately, tk is right, tomatoes are just single seasoned crops. If you want to keep those plants, I remember reading somewhere that because tomatoes root along their stems, someone took cuttings of their tomatoes and grew them inside under light, I guess a bring window would work also.
Posted By: patches1414 Re: Fall plants - September 13th, 2006 at 12:07 PM
Actually, my favorite things to plant in the fall are the Chrysanthemums. wink They look great in containers and planted in the ground too! smile Now they have so many different varieties and some awesome new colors to brighten the yard up again and give it some new life! wink
Posted By: spiedee Re: Fall plants - September 15th, 2006 at 12:00 AM
i wonder if Kale would be cool too... i love the way it looks...but not sure about fall/winter for it
Posted By: spiedee Re: Fall plants - September 15th, 2006 at 12:07 AM
...yep...well theyre veggies, but still neat..and its said to be very hardy in winter and should be planted so that they mature in cold weather (so whenever fall weather comes to your neck of the woods)
Posted By: Deepanwita Re: Fall plants - September 17th, 2006 at 01:11 AM
Thank you everyone for all your suggestions. yes, mums sound wonderful.
© A Gardeners Forum [Archive]