A Gardeners Forum
Posted By: Anonymous Venus fly trap - April 13th, 2006 at 05:25 AM
Hello,

I was recently bought a Venus fly trap. I know nothing about them, so i thought id use msn search to see what i can find, and lone behold i found this site wink (just incase you wondered how i got here, it wasnt by magic).

It came with the moss stuff and some seeds, ive read the instructions and im keeping it moist (not soggy) and in a moist cool enviroment.

How ever being brought up in the era of sea monkeys, i was half expecting the plant to grow quite quickly. Realisticaly i know this would never happen, but i can always wish.

Does any one know what the rough time frame is for one to grow from seed? The last plant i tried growing from a seed was a sunflower, and it stayed on my shelf for over a year (growthless) .. until i chucked it in my garden.

Venus fly trap is somewhat cooler than a silly sunflower so i wish this to go well.

Maybe one day ill feed my evil twin sister to it.. Alas i just remembered, raw meet would kill the darn thing.. *sigh*

Many thanks in advance,
Danny

P.s Dont call child services i love my sister really.
Posted By: Amber J Re: Venus fly trap - April 14th, 2006 at 12:50 PM
From a seed it can take more than a year! Be patient ...
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Venus fly trap - April 14th, 2006 at 08:27 PM
A year!!! :'(
Posted By: Amber J Re: Venus fly trap - April 16th, 2006 at 04:21 AM
Yeah sorry frown

Even then, it takes about 3 years for them to fully mature. You're better off getting an adult plant from a nursery and then propagating the leaves ...
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Venus fly trap - April 16th, 2006 at 08:46 PM
I was given this though, ive been spraying it with water daily cause it said to moisten the soil and not to let it go soggy.. so its not to much hassle i guess i could go for the full year.. but growing time was from may - october, and its almost may.. so maybe im in luck.
Posted By: Amber J Re: Venus fly trap - April 17th, 2006 at 01:46 AM
Definitely don't give up! You're doing what you're supposed to be doing. Don't forget there's a hibernation period during the winter.
Posted By: Ross Re: Venus fly trap - April 20th, 2006 at 01:12 AM
i'm not sure if mine has hibernated or died su please HELP!!!!!!! me
Posted By: Amber J Re: Venus fly trap - April 20th, 2006 at 06:14 AM
Can you post a picture? This is the time of year they should be completely out of hibernation. Can you describe why you think it's dead?
Posted By: puddingned94 Re: Venus fly trap - May 8th, 2006 at 08:21 AM
yeh show a picture
© A Gardeners Forum [Archive]