A Gardeners Forum
Posted By: midwestflora Bamboo 2 U - October 17th, 2006 at 05:06 AM
If kept under a watchful eye and trimmers, I understand that bamboo species can be grown as a privacy hedge. Additionally, dried bamboo can be used to direct rain water into the ground using water conservation practices.

Has anyone any experience with growing bamboo in the US? I am in Zone 5.

My thanks in advance,
midwestflora
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Bamboo 2 U - October 17th, 2006 at 10:32 AM
it grows wild here, and there are several types. some are "running" and NOTHING will stop them short of a metal container. others are clumping and grow slowly. they are the kind best used for privacy screens, but hedge is the wrong word. they don't do well if you cut the tops off, so they need to grow naturally to their full hight, usually 15 feet or so. but if placed well, they make a great privacy screen that is nearly impenatrable.

and yes, depending on the type grown, they can be used for water pipes.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Bamboo 2 U - October 17th, 2006 at 11:41 AM
bamboo is lovely...just make sure you get a clumping type!!!

if you get the running type, you'll never be able to contain it - or get rid of it!!
Posted By: gailo Re: Bamboo 2 U - October 17th, 2006 at 07:21 PM
I bought some bamboo from this place and it was beautiful until my neighbor sprayed it with roundup.
http://www.bambooheadquarters.com/
Posted By: midwestflora Re: Bamboo 2 U - October 18th, 2006 at 01:55 AM
Great.
Clumping type it is, then.
I've neighbors that have roundup and bushhogs, and they know how to use them.

Thanks!
midwestflora
Posted By: rainie Re: Bamboo 2 U - October 18th, 2006 at 09:27 PM
I bought a clump of bamboo this year, I am in zone 5, it's supposed to be very vigorous - it's done pretty abysmal this year. I started it off in deep shade, and it looked terrible, so I moved it to a nice summy location. I'll let you know how it does if it makes it next year. It almost looks like sea grass, very pretty. I heard some bamboos don't do much the first year of two as they are growing underground - then BAM - there they go upwards.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Bamboo 2 U - October 19th, 2006 at 08:52 AM
rainie, you have it. they establish their rizomes, then they shoot up.
© A Gardeners Forum [Archive]