A Gardeners Forum
Posted By: Anonymous My Pond ~ pics - July 27th, 2006 at 02:16 PM
here you go. my pond & fish, water hyacinths and all!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Anonymous Re: My Pond ~ pics - July 27th, 2006 at 02:20 PM
by the way, that "love grows here" was given to me by loz ~ thank you kissies
Posted By: Triss Re: My Pond ~ pics - July 27th, 2006 at 02:43 PM
Very pretty Jiffy, How big is the pond? How deep?
Posted By: Anonymous Re: My Pond ~ pics - July 27th, 2006 at 03:11 PM
You're welcome Jiffy. thumbup

It looks great!!! thumbup thumbup How many fish do you have now???? My hyacinths have never bloomed--but they spread like wildfire.

I just threw out a ton of hyacinths AGAIN. They were covering about 80 percent of my pond, so I cleared them out to about 40 percent. I hate throwing them out though so I put some in my birdbath! laugh
Posted By: plants 'n pots Re: My Pond ~ pics - July 27th, 2006 at 03:15 PM
Gorgeous, Jiffy! So green and lush looking!

I have so much trouble growing pond plants - my hyacinths this year are barely hanging on - which is actually better than last years!

Like Triss, I want to know - how big is the pond and how many fish do you have in there?
Posted By: patches1414 Re: My Pond ~ pics - July 27th, 2006 at 04:47 PM
Beautiful Jiffy! thumbup I think ponds are so neat and would like to put one in some day! lala Guess that's something else I need to add to my "to do" lists. laugh laugh laugh
Posted By: Anonymous Re: My Pond ~ pics - July 28th, 2006 at 12:03 AM
that is actually a 3-tier "half barrel" pond i got on clearance at kmart a couple of years ago with some b'day $$. think i paid about $50 for it.

it is about 2 ft deep (deep enough the fish overwinter ok). and about 3ft across. the second tier is about the size of an industrial mixing bowl and the third is about the size of a large mixing bowl.

there are about 9 fish in there. one or two are from the first year, the rest are add ins, all were $0.28 "feeder" fish from wally world. i feed them twice a day in summer and about once every week or two (or less) in winter. the pump runs continuously, but i don't have a filter per se. i use the plants in the top tier as the "filter".

thank you all for the compliments!
Posted By: Anonymous Re: My Pond ~ pics - July 28th, 2006 at 12:05 AM
oh, and the plants are water hyacinth, water lettuce, some parrots feather (you can't see), a plant i bought at the beginning of the summer that i've split 2 times, but now isn't growing so well, and 4 plants from cindy that i don't know what are, but one bloomed!
Posted By: SpringFever_dup1 Re: My Pond ~ pics - July 28th, 2006 at 12:49 AM
I Love the Pond Jiffy sooo lush with plants!! Very cool!! thumbup
Posted By: penny in ontario Re: My Pond ~ pics - July 28th, 2006 at 01:16 AM
Very nice Jiffy...i love it..you've done a great job thumbup
Posted By: Karrie Re: My Pond ~ pics - July 28th, 2006 at 01:23 AM
Beautiful Jiffy!
Posted By: shanbear Re: My Pond ~ pics - July 28th, 2006 at 02:47 AM
Beautiful Jiffy!

So healthy & Green!
Posted By: afgreyparrot Re: My Pond ~ pics - July 28th, 2006 at 03:18 AM
Oh, Jiffy...that is so pretty!

I would love to be able to go back and just have my old pond.
It was no hassle at all, and I got so much pleasure from it.

You have so many nice plants in yours!
Posted By: cinta Re: My Pond ~ pics - July 28th, 2006 at 01:09 PM
Beautiful Jiffy the plants and the fish look so happy. The sign is so cute.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: My Pond ~ pics - July 28th, 2006 at 01:23 PM
thank you all for your kind words. now if i can just get the rest of my yard looking that way laugh laugh
Posted By: jakesangel Re: My Pond ~ pics - July 28th, 2006 at 11:30 PM
That is so darling! Do you have to keep the Hyacinths pulled back so you can see the fish?
Posted By: cookinmom Re: My Pond ~ pics - July 29th, 2006 at 07:37 AM
I love it Jiffy! Very pretty!
thumbup
Posted By: Anonymous Re: My Pond ~ pics - July 29th, 2006 at 02:07 PM
i have a spot that i push the plants back, i have water lettuce holding the hyacinths back. i do that twice a day when i feed the fish. the bubbler on the filter is there, so that helps.

i'm hoping to clean it out tomorrow and get it thinned out some. i've promised some of the plants out.
Posted By: welldigger Re: My Pond ~ pics - August 1st, 2006 at 01:18 PM
those are really beautiful jiffy where could i get those kind of plants you have a nice pond to by the way and i like how you have it set up. would it be hard to make a water fall out of my lil problem
Posted By: Squirrel Re: My Pond ~ pics - August 1st, 2006 at 01:56 PM
Jiffy, just love your pond. The whole thing just screams "HEALTHY". It is sooooo pretty. thumbup Sue
Posted By: ND farm girl Re: My Pond ~ pics - August 3rd, 2006 at 07:09 AM
water hyacinths - I'm new to ponds/fountains and just starting to get my feet 'wet'! These are beautiful plants. Can you tell me more about them? I am in zone 3.
Posted By: ND farm girl Re: My Pond ~ pics - August 3rd, 2006 at 11:14 AM
Me again - the water hyacinths - I found some on ebay and bought a few. When I get them - what do I do with them!? Do they just 'float' in the pond?
Posted By: Anonymous Re: My Pond ~ pics - August 3rd, 2006 at 01:44 PM
they just float on the pond, but once in a while, you will have to thin them out. their roots can be viscious.
Posted By: patches1414 Re: My Pond ~ pics - August 3rd, 2006 at 04:56 PM
My friend has a pond and she has some water hyacinths. wink They are so pretty, flw but they seem to multiply faster than rabbits! eek laugh laugh
Posted By: Anonymous Re: My Pond ~ pics - August 4th, 2006 at 12:15 PM
uh, they DO multiply faster than rabbits! and it only takes 1 to get started laugh laugh
Posted By: patches1414 Re: My Pond ~ pics - August 4th, 2006 at 04:27 PM
She keep telling me if I put in a pond she will give me some, but I think one would be enough. laugh laugh laugh I would really love to put in a pond, but I think I have too many irons in the fire right now. eek nutz
© A Gardeners Forum [Archive]