A Gardeners Forum
Posted By: FaeryWings Plant identification help - October 2nd, 2006 at 12:59 AM
Does anyone recognize this flower? I bought it late last summer ('05) from a roadside stand and planted it. It just came into blossom a couple of weeks ago and I really like it, but would like more info about it.

Here are 2 pix. The second one is a little fuzzy, but it's a little bit closer view.
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/faerywings44/detail?.dir=9bc0&.dnm=d0d5re2.jpg&.src=ph
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/faerywings44/detail?.dir=9bc0&.dnm=6e34re2.jpg&.src=ph

Thanks...

Nancy
Posted By: weezie13 Re: Plant identification help - October 2nd, 2006 at 01:07 AM
Hopefully someone else will come in...
and identify it...

But my guess is TOAD LILY!!

If no one comes thru, I will move this to
The MYSTERY SECTION, and see if anyone comes
thru there and takes a guess..
Posted By: zuzu's petals Re: Plant identification help - October 2nd, 2006 at 02:46 AM
Yes grinnnn , a Tricyrtis ("Toad Lily"), though which specific one,
I couldn't say.
Posted By: melcon6 Re: Plant identification help - October 2nd, 2006 at 02:57 AM
Isn't it a delightful plant, so inconspicous yet really intricate and beautiful. I'd love to have one! When I went to check the spelling of Tricyrtis , zuzu beat me to it, I found out that Weezie has the common name! thumbup I never knew that , I always call it the "tricky plant" because I don't know how to spell or pronounce the scientific name, LOL.
Posted By: FaeryWings Re: Plant identification help - October 2nd, 2006 at 03:14 AM
Hmmm... I thought toad lilies bloomed in the spring? Plus, you might not be able to tell from the pix, but the leaves aren't speckled and neither are the blossoms. The petal blossoms are white with a tinge of pink (purple) around the edges. Are there toad lilies that aren't spotted?

Nancy
Posted By: weezie13 Re: Plant identification help - October 2nd, 2006 at 03:41 AM
Yes, I would have to say they do have speckles on them...

The next question you would be...

Where is this plant?
Sun, Full Sun, Shade???????

And how is the moisture where the plant is
located?
Wet, medium~moist, dry?
Or if it's in a wet spot, has it dried out?

And what kind of soil is it in??????
Compost like or understory of a forrest like?
Posted By: melcon6 Re: Plant identification help - October 2nd, 2006 at 03:59 AM
I think you've got your common names mixed up maybe???? The Trout lily blooms in the spring, could that be what youre thinking of??? I always try to go by the scientific name, that is how you will get the most information with less confusion. But I like to know the common names too, especially what the locals are calling something, that way you can get great regional *tried and true* info as well.

this page has a lot of information about different varieties. I don't think it has to be spotted.
Posted By: melcon6 Re: Plant identification help - October 2nd, 2006 at 04:01 AM
the variety they call Tricyrtis "angel's halo" looks a lot like yours.
Posted By: melcon6 Re: Plant identification help - October 2nd, 2006 at 04:03 AM
Or the one called "Tojen" \'tojen"
Posted By: weezie13 Re: Plant identification help - October 2nd, 2006 at 04:09 AM
Yes, it does look like that one... Tojen
Posted By: melcon6 Re: Plant identification help - October 2nd, 2006 at 05:23 AM
Oh, yes, that's it! Better closeup Weezie! thumbup clp When you put all three pictures up side-by-side it looks identical! Right down to the very distinct unopened flower bud.
Posted By: FaeryWings Re: Plant identification help - October 3rd, 2006 at 05:50 AM
Oh... duh! shocked Yes, that definitely looks like it.

Well, where it is right now is pretty much full sun (a little protection possibly from the surrounding rose bushes, but that's about it.) I have another spot I can move it to on the side of the house. Any ideas when the best time is to move it? Probably now, I'm thinking, cause that's when I planted it last year and it came in beautifully.

Thanks for all your help everyone. This place is such a godsend for us wannabe gardeners. cool
© A Gardeners Forum [Archive]