A Gardeners Forum
Posted By: sam314 seedlings - March 31st, 2005 at 09:37 PM
I have recently planted some seeds in preparation for spring planting wink There are nastertiums, holly hocks and english daisies coming up. I have them under grow lights and they seem to be streching a lot. Are they supposed to do that? Is it because of the direct light? They are about 2 ft from the light, should they be closer? Any info would be much appreciated.
Posted By: tkhooper Re: seedlings - March 31st, 2005 at 11:59 PM
From what i've read here they can be as close as 12 inches from the grow light, because it is a cool light. And over fertilizing can cause some things to be leggy.
Posted By: obywan59 Re: seedlings - April 1st, 2005 at 07:54 AM
Even closer than that TK! When my seedlings are first coming up, I have them only 2 inches from the lights!
Posted By: tkhooper Re: seedlings - April 1st, 2005 at 12:19 PM
Wow,

2 inches? You can tell I use natural light I guess. I'm really lucky to have really large windows with 7 inch ledges that are South facing.
Posted By: sam314 Re: seedlings - April 2nd, 2005 at 07:01 PM
The nasturtiums are the ones I was most worried about. I asked my boss and he said they tend to do that for a few weeks, then take off like nothing else. I guess I didn't realize they could be that close. I just potted them up so they are three to a pot. Thanks!
© A Gardeners Forum [Archive]