A Gardeners Forum
Posted By: tkhooper Help Peonies again - May 27th, 2005 at 11:55 AM
The leaves are shriveling up. What's happening? Someone please help me. I de-bugged and haven't seen any bugs since. We've had plenty of rain rescently. It's in more shade that the one across the street so I don't think it is sunburn. What am I doing wrong?
Posted By: weezie13 Re: Help Peonies again - May 27th, 2005 at 02:12 PM
What happened to it in the first place
to make you de~bug it???

And tell us what you did to plant it?
When you planted it?
And the growing conditions??

And are you doing anything to the leaves?????

Weezie
Posted By: tkhooper Re: Help Peonies again - May 27th, 2005 at 03:43 PM
I'm going to try and remember all those questions.

No I'm not doing anything to the leaves.

I didn't put the organic greenlight bug killer on it but around it there were a lot of really tinny hot pink moving things on the concrete near them so I got them good. I also got the ant hills on the other side of the garden real good. And around the edge of the area I have planted got a good spraying too.

Lets see I planted according to the directions about an inch down on top of a mound of loose potting soil with bone meal added. I watered it real well before I put the bulb in then covered it and watered again. I've fertilized it once since then and I think I planted in early april. The soil around the 8" x 8" holes is mostly potting soil because I planted that entire area. Mother nature has been doing most of the watering cause I read they only like to be watered every 9 days of so. Oh I mulched around them about a week or so ago but the mulch has pretty much fallen father down the embankment.
Posted By: MaryReboakly Re: Help Peonies again - May 27th, 2005 at 06:30 PM
Hey T, The peonies I have came up with no coaxing at all...no fussing on my part. Actually, we didn't know they were there until they started coming up, and then we didn't know what they were (coming up in the middle of the lawn) and just let them grow on their own. I want to say they're pretty hardy flowers - anything that survived the mess this place was in for so long must be - are you sure they're shriveling and not just changing in appearance? Can you describe what you mean by shriveling? (color, texture, etc.?)

Mary
Posted By: tkhooper Re: Help Peonies again - May 27th, 2005 at 06:57 PM
They were still in their burgandy stage and the leaves just curled up into a tight fist and the leaves shrivelled up like they were to dry but they only did it on one branch on two different plants. The other two plants are fine.
Posted By: MaryReboakly Re: Help Peonies again - May 27th, 2005 at 07:33 PM
T, do you think it'd hurt to give them a good drink today? May be that's what they need...the ones that are shrivelling. Keep us updated!
Posted By: tkhooper Re: Help Peonies again - June 2nd, 2005 at 10:16 PM
well they came back. I wish I knew why they did that.
© A Gardeners Forum [Archive]