A Gardeners Forum
Posted By: Lakeside Lady Gardenia buds, but no blooms - June 22nd, 2005 at 06:51 AM
I received a beautiful, healthy gardenia plant as a gift on January 5, 05. I kept it inside in front of a big window with lots of light but no direct sun because it was still pretty cold here, in Atascadero, California. I moved it outside in April when it started to warm up. It's still as healthy as the day I received it with shiny green leaves and many buds. The problem is in all these months not one of the buds has ever bloomed. (They are not drying up and falling off.) Actually, I don't know where they're going, I never see any evidence of the buds falling off or drying up - weird. I do all the things I'm supposed to for it, keeping it moist, but not overwatering it, the temperature is perfect for it, it's outside where it gets a fine misty spray from a nearby fountain, it gets some morning sun, and shade in the afternoon. I gave it some Miracid a couple of times since I've had it, but the result is the same - it's still beautiful with lots of buds, but not one flower. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Jeannie
Posted By: njoynit Re: Gardenia buds, but no blooms - June 24th, 2005 at 05:07 AM
mine are just finishing up on blooming.I only have 2 buds left unbloomed.they do seem to be there for a bit.mine are inground.also if you knew what type you had that may help to know when would bloom.
Posted By: DAISYSMURF Re: Gardenia buds, but no blooms - June 25th, 2005 at 11:39 AM
Could it be possible an animal or something is eating the blooms/buds
Posted By: Bestofour Re: Gardenia buds, but no blooms - June 26th, 2005 at 11:33 AM
That's what I was wondering too Daisysmurf. You know something ate just the tops off my okra plants. Twice actually. (I replanted after the first incident.) Do you have deer around?
Posted By: Lakeside Lady Re: Gardenia buds, but no blooms - June 27th, 2005 at 06:07 AM
Yes, we have deer, but the plant was indoors during the first three months I had it. Oh deer.
Posted By: Bestofour Re: Gardenia buds, but no blooms - June 27th, 2005 at 07:29 AM
Well, this is a mystery. Can you take it to your home extension service? I'm curious. The buds actually make then just go away? Do any leaves fall off or turn brown around where the bud was?

[Linked Image]
© A Gardeners Forum [Archive]