A Gardeners Forum
Posted By: tifflo Are these jades? - July 7th, 2005 at 02:08 PM
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
I asked the vendor, she says its not...

[Linked Image]
Anyone can please help me identify them?
Posted By: tkhooper Re: Are these jades? - July 7th, 2005 at 06:01 PM
If you look through this section of this link you will probably find your plants.

Crassula

It definitely looks like it's related to the jade somehow. Good luck with your search.
Posted By: RugbyHukr Re: Are these jades? - July 8th, 2005 at 08:58 AM
Your 1st one is a kalanchoe. I think it is probably kalanchoe pumila 'somalian kalanchoe'.

Probably this one

But, it could be kalanchoe prittwitzii.

maybe this one

Or it could be...

or this one
Posted By: tkhooper Re: Are these jades? - July 8th, 2005 at 05:27 PM
So that's what it is. I think I'm going to have to add it to my want list.
Posted By: tifflo Re: Are these jades? - July 8th, 2005 at 09:01 PM
Hi rugbyhukr,

Thanks for helping me identify it. Do you know anything about its care? Water,soil?
Posted By: RugbyHukr Re: Are these jades? - July 9th, 2005 at 12:36 AM
Couple links for you...

Posted By: tifflo Re: Are these jades? - July 9th, 2005 at 10:01 PM
Hi rugbyhukr, thanks agn. Went thru the 2 links already. So you think putting it on an east facing window sill will be ok? Any idea what's the 2nd one? Is it jade?
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Are these jades? - July 10th, 2005 at 08:31 AM
Tifflo,

It might be a jade, but we can't tell from that photo. Need a closer view and one from a lowerr angle so the stems are more visible.
Posted By: tifflo Re: Are these jades? - July 10th, 2005 at 04:15 PM
Dear Will Creed,

Thanks for taking the time to help me. Here's another 2 pix of the plant.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Is it rule of thumb, whenever watering any houseplants to water thoroughly til water comes out of the drip hole?

I'm kinda new in this, but I'm definitely addicted. Every week buying a couple of plants... I hope I'll be able to keep my jades alive, it seems to be difficult in this part of the world. Dunno why... Even the vendor says so... But I'm not giving up! flw
Posted By: Nako Re: Are these jades? - July 10th, 2005 at 10:20 PM
that's a different type of plant. I donno what its called, but sometimes its referred to as a minileaf jade, or mini jade. Mine's a true minijade if you wana see it in my webshots ^.^ But ya, the one you have right there is a pretty good candidate for bonsai if you wana turn it into a cute lil tree ^.^

I donno about the white spikey one though. I definately don't think its a jade due to the spikyness, but ya never know ^.^

~Phoebe
Posted By: tifflo Re: Are these jades? - July 11th, 2005 at 12:43 AM
I think rugbyhukr is right about the 1st one. It's a kalanchoe pumila 'somalian kalanchoe'.

I'm still very new to gardening. Just started, I'd have no idea how to turn anything into lil trees... I'll be happy as long as I'm able to keep them alive.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Are these jades? - July 11th, 2005 at 03:27 AM
Hi Tifflo,

Your photos are very helpful

Your second plant is called elephant bush or Portulacaria afra 'Variegata.'

It requires much the same conditions as Jade plants; lots of direct sun; allow the soil to dry out between waterings, fertilize sparingly; keep very tightly potted.

Does Malaysia have a very damp (humid) climate? That might account for the difficulty you have with succulent-type plants that do better in dry air.

Always water plants thoroughly until a bit runs through the drainage holes. Then wait until the soil is appropriately dry before adding water again. Avoid the temptation to add a little water every few days.
Posted By: tkhooper Re: Are these jades? - July 11th, 2005 at 06:24 AM
If you have a lot of sun you might try to pick up a purple passion plant for inside. They love the humidity and warm temperatures too over 70 degrees F. Coleus need less light but enjoy humidity and so does the caladium although it requires even less light than the coleus.
Posted By: tifflo Re: Are these jades? - July 11th, 2005 at 02:20 PM
Dear Will Creed,

Once again, thank you very much for your help. I've just started trying to identify all my plants. I'm really new at gardening, only started in February. Just bought plants that I thought look good. Then I started having trouble keeping my jade alive, and eventually killed one. Took me long time to find out what its name was so that I can look for more information on the internet. Well, looks like I found a gold mine here... clp You have been so nice and patient with those of us who're new to gardening. I read most of the posts and the archives as well, definitely all about jades shocked

One more question, I'm going to try and propagate my mini jade, and I wanted to know after putting the new cutting into a new pot of cactus potting mix, do I need to water it? I actually asked this question already on another post, and tkhooper has been kind enough to help me with it, but he didn't know about the watering part...
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Are these jades? - July 11th, 2005 at 02:50 PM
Hi Tifflo,

I was recenly advised the following about rooting jade cuttings (I started with a 5" cutting). Hope it helps.

It is possible to root a jade cutting in water. After the roots are at least an inch long, then the rooted cutting can be transferred to a very small pot filled with a porous potting mix (half regular mix and half cactus mix).

However, you can also pot it up directly into the same mix just described. After the cutting has been exposed to the air for 12-24 hours, then insert the cutting into the potting mix. Water the mix thoroughly and then don't water it again until the surface of the mix feels dry.

In either case, it is best to locate the cuttings in a very bright spot, but out of the direct sun. After the cutting has been in the potting mix for about a month, you can then move it to a sunnier windowsill.

Posted By: tifflo Re: Are these jades? - July 11th, 2005 at 04:55 PM
Dear Cricket,

Thank you so much! That was very helpful. I'm going to try it tomorrow. Did you root yours in water first or did you just pot yours directly? Will keep everyone posted whether my mini jade survives or not.

Also thanks to all for all your advice!

Tifflo.
Posted By: tifflo Re: Are these jades? - July 11th, 2005 at 05:00 PM
I've read in previous posts that to get rid of spider mites, to mix 1 gallon of water, 1 teaspoon of dishwashing detergent and half teaspoon horticultural oil. Can someone please tell me what's that? Does tea tree oil or neem oil count??
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Are these jades? - July 11th, 2005 at 11:50 PM
Hi Tifflo,

I potted my jade cutting directly into soil per the instructions I posted. It's only been a month but so far the cutting seems to be doing well. thumbup Good luck with yours and don't forget to update us!

I couldn't tell you if tea tree or neem oil is effective against spider mites but it is a good question. I hope someone more knowledgeable posts an answer soon.
Posted By: RugbyHukr Re: Are these jades? - July 11th, 2005 at 11:56 PM
Hope this helps...

oils
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Are these jades? - July 12th, 2005 at 04:27 AM
Hi Tifflo,

Cricket's information was excellent and Rugby's link is also excellent.

I have found that plain soapy water does the trick with spider mites as long as you get really thorough coverage. I have used Neem oil and been underwhelmed by the claims attributed to it. In my experience, it does not work any better than mineral or horticultural oil.
Posted By: tifflo Re: Are these jades? - July 12th, 2005 at 11:45 AM
OK. Thanks again to all of you. I'm gonna try and do it now... Wish me luck!!
© A Gardeners Forum [Archive]