A Gardeners Forum
Posted By: RLR Lack of blooming - July 7th, 2005 at 01:16 AM
Anyone know why my cosmos, hydranga, morning glories, and sweet pea vine are not blooming? I've tried miracle grow bloom booster???
Posted By: floweraddict Re: Lack of blooming - July 7th, 2005 at 11:07 AM
Are they getting enough sun?

I've learned from past experiences that i used too much fertilizer... i got a lot of green, but no flowers. That happened to me with hollyhocks and cosmos.
Comos likes infertile soil; so, it shouldn't need anything. They grow like "weeds" in my garden from seed deposited the season before.
Posted By: atreus Re: Lack of blooming - July 12th, 2005 at 09:56 PM
Are they all in relative proximity to one another?
And have you noticed any plants failing? Especially in pots or greenhouses?
Posted By: RLR Re: Lack of blooming - July 14th, 2005 at 01:21 AM
I have clumps of them here and there. Do you think they might be too close? And my hydranga looks very healthy but just no flowers!!! I have only used soil acidifier on it and cow manure, no other fertilizer.
Posted By: atreus Re: Lack of blooming - July 15th, 2005 at 06:44 AM
Did you have a particularly nasty winter?

Sometimes some of these plants can fail to bloom after a nasty winter.

Otherwise I'm a bit lost....
Posted By: cirv Re: Lack of blooming - July 18th, 2005 at 12:22 AM
Yes, I have been having much the same problem and don't know why. I have a hydrangea that puts out leaves w/out flowers. I was writing to find out why my morning glories were so slow to get started this year. They have re-seed themselves but are only a few inches high. I don't feed them and they get little water. It has been extremely hot and dry here this summer.
Posted By: traz Re: Lack of blooming - July 19th, 2005 at 11:58 PM
Greetings, all! My nextdoor neighbor's wondering what's causing her potted morning glories' foliage (western exposure)to turn yellow, starting just above the soil and working upward, leaf by leaf. It's been very hot and dry here in OK City. It hasn't rained in over a week. She gives them lots of water.
© A Gardeners Forum [Archive]