A Gardeners Forum
Posted By: msgvb pruning philodendron golden pothos - June 20th, 2005 at 03:36 AM
I have a quick question regarding pruning a philodendron. I'm kinda new to this. I'm good at fixing computers and building engines, but this plant stuff really messes me up...

the directions I stumbled onto at this page http://www.thegardenhelper.com/cuttings.html say "The cut should be made at a slight angle, just below a node (The point on the stem where a leaf has developed)."

this point "just below a node" -- is that from the root side, or the tip side?
Posted By: tkhooper Re: pruning philodendron golden pothos - June 20th, 2005 at 05:12 AM
the tip side.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: pruning philodendron golden pothos - June 20th, 2005 at 10:31 AM
Those are very confusing instructions.

The angle of the cut is irrelevant.

Cut the stem just above where a leaf attaches to the stem. YOu don't want a stem stub sticking out above a leaf.

From the cutting, remove the lowest leaf. New roots will grow from the bump or node where that removed leaf was attached as long as the node is in constant contact with water or moist soil.
Posted By: msgvb Re: pruning philodendron golden pothos - June 20th, 2005 at 10:56 AM
yeah, that's better.
thanks guys.
© A Gardeners Forum [Archive]