A Gardeners Forum
Posted By: tkhooper "Dim bulb" question series - June 12th, 2005 at 08:44 AM
It seems like all my questions this week are on the silly side. Sorry all & thanks for your patience. I am growing caladium as a house plant is it still going to die back this fall. Or will it continue to grow all year? There is so much to learn and I guess I have to start at the beginning because I certainly don't know anything. Thanks for your help.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: "Dim bulb" question series - June 12th, 2005 at 05:44 PM
Hey Hoop!

I searched and searched but couldn't find any silliness in your question!

Caladiums are somewhat difficult to maintain in the home environment. They must have lots of very bright light, although they need some protection from hot mid-day sun. They also require warm temps above 65 degrees (preferably 70 degrees) at all times and high humidity helps as well. Finally, they have a 4-month dormant period (usually in winter) during which the leaves die back completely. For this reason, many people buy caladiums in the early summer and discard them in the fall as they go into dormancy. As the leaves die back in the fall, it is best to reduce watering until all leaves have withered. Then unpot the plant and store the tuber in dry peat moss in a cool (55 to 60 degrees) location for about 4 months or until new growth starts to emerge. Repot at that time.

That's my silly answer!
Posted By: tkhooper Re: "Dim bulb" question series - June 12th, 2005 at 08:18 PM
Thanks Will. I appreciate your answer. I was trying to figure out what to do. Now all I have to do is get my cubboard all ready to be a nighty night place for bulbs and tubers and such like lol. Oh and stock up on dry peat moss before winter.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: "Dim bulb" question series - June 12th, 2005 at 10:45 PM
OK I know when my chain is being jerked. LOL! Next time I will give you an outrageous answer.

Will
Posted By: tkhooper Re: "Dim bulb" question series - June 13th, 2005 at 12:08 AM
I was serious. Did I misunderstand?
Posted By: Anonymous Re: "Dim bulb" question series - June 15th, 2005 at 03:15 AM
No, I guess I did!

Will
© A Gardeners Forum [Archive]