A Gardeners Forum
Posted By: new-gardener Small holes in my Coleus! - May 13th, 2005 at 01:20 AM
Just within the past 2 days, I have noticed small holes in the leaves of my Coleus. The holes are about a quarter inch big. What could this be, and how do I help it?
(It is planted in an atrium, so no animals like mice or squirrels have access to it.
Posted By: RugbyHukr Re: Small holes in my Coleus! - May 13th, 2005 at 06:10 AM
either you have some insect in your tank to eat holes or maybe the sunlight is being magnified by: reflecting objects, gravel in tank, glass of tank, etc.

sorry to be unsure.
Posted By: JV Re: Small holes in my Coleus! - May 13th, 2005 at 01:13 PM
new-gardener I agree with Rugbyhuker also sounds some like a bore. Check closely see if you have any varmint in the tank also place some paper around base of plant shake plant see what falls out or off. At night in the dark get a flashlight and magnifying glass no telling what you might find. Would help if you could post a closeup photo someone might be able to help you better Duh . I have 7 Coleus with more rooting I have mine in clay pots on east porch get early morning sun keep check on moisture with a moisture meter, So far I not seen this problem on mine. But a few years back had bores kill some of my Coleus.
Good Luck
Jimmy
Posted By: new-gardener Re: Small holes in my Coleus! - May 14th, 2005 at 01:38 AM
The atrium is not covered with glass or anything, it's completely open. The glass on the sides don't really catch any sun. The plant might get about 1 to 2 hours of direct sunlight per day, tops. I checked, and saw nothing. Could it be moths? Is there a spray that I should use to just repel all bugs?
I was going to take a pic, but my digital cam is not working right now.
My plant's leaves now look like swiss cheese frown
Posted By: JV Re: Small holes in my Coleus! - May 14th, 2005 at 04:31 AM
you sure have something chewing on them all right look on back of leaves see if there is anything cottony on them. If so pick it off then wash leaves with a organic type soap. I can't think of the name off hand. I dont use chemicals on anything so I can't help you with a spray other than one that is organic. go to a garden center take a leaf with you they can help and also can direct you to correct things wheather organic or not.
Good Luck
Jimmy
Posted By: new-gardener Re: Small holes in my Coleus! - May 17th, 2005 at 10:10 PM
Problem solved. I took a leaf with me to Home Depot, and they thought it was either cutter worms (or something like that) or aphids. Anyhow, they gave me something that really took care of whatever it was. I just need to keep my cats away from it, and everything will be A-OK!
Thanks guys wink
© A Gardeners Forum [Archive]