A Gardeners Forum
Posted By: DAISYSMURF Peonies - August 5th, 2005 at 01:22 PM
I was reading that peonies have a large root system and should not be planted near shrubs or trees. I have two potential spots for mine. One is within two or 3 feet of a hydrangea bush and 7 or 8 of a cedar tree( I've already dug a spot but can make it bigger!) The other spot is near a butterfly bush and 5 or 6 feet from a couple of azaleas. Where is the best spot?
Posted By: tkhooper Re: Peonies - August 5th, 2005 at 10:02 PM
I understand their spacing requirement is two feet so it sounds like any of your spots will be fine. The more space allowed for them the longer they can grow without having to be divided. From what I've read they live a very long time but require about 3 years or so to get situated before they will bloom in a new location so you have to make sure that where you put them is where they will be able to stay for a long long time.
Posted By: WCutler Re: Peonies - October 1st, 2005 at 01:53 AM
Full sun is important for the best blooming success.
Posted By: tkhooper Re: Peonies - October 1st, 2005 at 02:16 AM
That's interesting W Cutler, I've heard they like shade lol. I bet you I have the wrong information and the worst thing is I moved my peonies because of that information and lost 3 of them to the move. I think I'm going to go put a bandaide over my hurt feelings. [sniffle]

Sometimes I wonder if I will ever learn to garden. There is so much information to know and keep straight in my head. Maybe I should work with fewer flowers until I am comfortable with them.
© A Gardeners Forum [Archive]