A Gardeners Forum
Posted By: Karrie Day lillies - July 25th, 2005 at 11:29 PM
I was fortunate to obtain 12 day lillies of various species. They were all small starts, I planted them they had a little bit of green in them, well they look kinda brownish now still some green. My question is should i cut them down to the ground level to allow the plant to concentrate on rooting or just keep what growth is there and leave it alone?
Posted By: PAR_Gardener Re: Day lillies - July 25th, 2005 at 11:49 PM
Karrie,

Just leave them alone. Day lillies are vary hardy, almost hard to kill. Do not cut them down to the ground. You want to keep the leaves, so that they can convert sun light into energy. If you are really concerned about them getting established, then you may want to cut any flower stalks this year, but that shouldn't be necessary.
Posted By: Karrie Re: Day lillies - July 26th, 2005 at 12:43 AM
Thank you so much! I really hope these establish. I just love day lillies
Posted By: hisgal2 Re: Day lillies - July 26th, 2005 at 03:56 AM
this sounds horrible, but somebody gave me a huge chunk of daylilies in a plastic shopping bag. I took them home, but didn't have the time to get them planted...and didn't really know where I wanted to plant them. So, they sat at the shaded side of my house and I watered them every other day. Well, they actually bloomed like that...then....we had a nasty heat wave and it killed the leaves. I looked at the bag yesterday and the plants are actually putting out new leaves!! So, I wouldn't worry about the. They are tough buggers!
© A Gardeners Forum [Archive]