A Gardeners Forum
Posted By: WCutler Purple Coneflower oddity - September 30th, 2005 at 10:09 PM
I have a bed of purple conflower where some of the flower heads have some sort of mutant growth on them. The growth is green and looks weedy coming out of what was the flower head about a quarter to three quarters of an inch. The plant itslelf is dying back and no petals remain. Can anyone explain this growth and advise if it is healthy or should I remove the affected plants?

Thanks
Posted By: WCutler Re: Purple Coneflower oddity - September 30th, 2005 at 10:10 PM
Sorry about the typo! Thanks
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Purple Coneflower oddity - October 1st, 2005 at 12:38 PM
could you post a pic?
Posted By: weezie13 Re: Purple Coneflower oddity - October 2nd, 2005 at 12:24 AM
WCutler,
Does it look like more petals??
Coming out of the middle or brown area>???
Posted By: weezie13 Re: Purple Coneflower oddity - October 2nd, 2005 at 12:34 AM
Something like these??????? Purple Coneflower Doubledecker
Posted By: WCutler Re: Purple Coneflower oddity - October 13th, 2005 at 12:33 AM
It does look like the seeds in the flower head are growing a plant but they are all green at the moment. If that is so and they live long enough to bloom before frost they may result in the picture you presented. There is more than one growth on the cone part of the flowers which are otherwise now dead. I cut back all of the other plants and those with this oddity these out of curiosity.

We will see

Thanks
Posted By: weezie13 Re: Purple Coneflower oddity - October 14th, 2005 at 09:49 AM
Ohhhh, I hope so......
We love pictures,
and they help us figure stuff out, faster!!! wink thumbup
Posted By: comfrey Re: Purple Coneflower oddity - October 14th, 2005 at 10:09 AM
Wow cool picture you found Weezie! I wonder though, the only reason I would grow purple cone flowers is because of the medicinal properties of the roots, I wonder if these double deckers would still have the medicinal properties??? Very cool looking flower...LOL I may have get some, just because.
Posted By: weezie13 Re: Purple Coneflower oddity - October 18th, 2005 at 12:55 AM
I love the seeds for the little birds..
They just love getting them...
© A Gardeners Forum [Archive]