A Gardeners Forum
Posted By: 4Ruddy chunky cucs???? - June 22nd, 2005 at 12:15 AM
I have another isolated plant problem...all of the cucs are doing good...and they have been yummy! But I have one plant that is producing "chunky" almost round cucs.... [Linked Image] they taste fine...but are so oddly shaped...what's up with that?

this pic didn't turn out to spiffy...I didn't realize the shadow was there...I can take another if I need to...
Posted By: Dixie Angel Re: chunky cucs???? - June 22nd, 2005 at 12:39 AM
We picked a squash yesterday that looked like a little yellow ball. Some of our cukes are starting to widen instead of lengthen, too. Really odd shapes. I am really interested in finding out what is causing this. I hope someone can answer your question soon!

Dianna
Posted By: Longy Re: chunky cucs???? - June 22nd, 2005 at 02:41 AM
It's a potash deficiency guys. A little hard to correct if they're already well into production. You might try a really weak brew of potassium permanganate. (AKA Condies Crystals) Available from some nurseries or a chemist if all else fails. Use a level tablespoon to a gallon of water, or half this rate to be less volatile. This is not an organic practice and may cause some effect on earthworms. If your plants are already past their prime this will be a waste of time. It often happens toward the end of a crop as potassium is used by the plant. As a nutrient it is leached from the soil by watering and so between that and the plant using it , it can deplete over the season.
Next year, add some sulphate of potash to the soil when you're preparing the ground prior to sowing. Also if you add zeolite, a natural mineral, the potassium adheres to it at a molecular level and prevents the leaching.
Hope this info helps.
Posted By: 4Ruddy Re: chunky cucs???? - June 22nd, 2005 at 02:51 AM
Well...Longy...sounds a litle complicated to me...so here's my solution...I'm not planting in that little spot anymore! What happened is I had extra cucs that needed to be planted...I stuck that one plant in an area (by itself) that is really soggy...in between my squash bed and the blackberry bed. It was not a "pre-pared" place to begin with. The other cucs are perfect and producing well....this one is producing okay...just fat little babies! They taste fine (is it okay to eat them thumbup
Posted By: 4Ruddy Re: chunky cucs???? - June 22nd, 2005 at 02:53 AM
oops...it's "what's happening" thread...sorry. And, How's Africa treating you? I am so glad you can pop in!
Posted By: Longy Re: chunky cucs???? - June 22nd, 2005 at 03:24 AM
Africa's treating me OK Fernie. I'm glad i can pop in too.
Being out in the ocean and away from the smell of earth isn't good. Landlubber i'm afraid.
It's not that complicated. Just dose up your beds with goodies. If it's a wet area that explains it. The leaching, possibly a little sour soil. If you have a few cucumber plants you'll have plenty then. Too late. We crossed threads.
© A Gardeners Forum [Archive]