A Gardeners Forum
Posted By: TinaB Tomatoe Problems - July 10th, 2005 at 05:44 AM
I am growing tomatoes for the first time this year and thought things were going well. The first two tomatoes that started to ripen had brown, hard spots on the bottom of them. I picked them, just in case I could stop something from hurting the other tomatoes. I am noticing that there are one or two other green tomatoes on the vine that now have these brown spots. I did make the mistake of putting 4 plants into one large pot (I know that was a "no no") - Is this blossom rot? Or something else? What can I do to make sure the rest of my tomatoes don't get this?
Thanks for your help. shk
Posted By: Stormysgrandma Re: Tomatoe Problems - July 10th, 2005 at 10:45 PM
Tina,

A great helper in this site recommended this terrific web site - called the Tomato Problem Solver. It has pics and solutions.

http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/tomatoproblemsolver/index.html

Click on the area of the problem - such as "ripe fruit" Then click on the pic that most resembles the problem. If you're like me, you'll click on them all and then save the site, lol.

Good luck
flw
Posted By: Sorellina Re: Tomatoe Problems - July 11th, 2005 at 10:23 PM
Tina,

Yup, sounds like blossom end rot to me. This can happen when there are large fluctuations in temperature or amount of water. Some varieties like paste/sauce tomatoes are more prone to BER and also container plants due to changing water needs. The tomatoes are fine and plants around them won't "catch" it, you can cut off the icky parts and eat or process the rest.

Hope that helps ;o)

Julianna
© A Gardeners Forum [Archive]