A Gardeners Forum
Posted By: lannie Purple Sand Cherry - sticky - June 10th, 2005 at 05:32 PM
Hi
I'm new to this forum and I hope someone can help me with this problem. My purple sand cherry blossomed beautifully this year, and then suddenly yesterday I noticed that certain branches are covered with a sticky substance (honeydew?) and little dark bumps. I sprayed it with dishwashing soap and water, but it may need more than that. It's been incredibly humid and hot here (Toronto Ontario) for over a week now.
Thanks!
Lannie
Posted By: BFVISION Re: Purple Sand Cherry - sticky - June 11th, 2005 at 12:28 PM
Hi Lannie wavey ,
I have always loved sand cherries myself and look forward to the white flowers followed by the great color of the leaves thumbup . I have never encountered your problem, I am usually fighting deer and Japanese beetles. This year caterpillars were more active then the past and I found myself picking the little critters off instead of spraying teech . Good Luck!!
Posted By: LMT Re: Purple Sand Cherry - sticky - June 15th, 2005 at 07:30 AM
Does it look like This Pic? If so, cut it off and discard.
Posted By: lannie Re: Purple Sand Cherry - sticky - June 15th, 2005 at 09:32 PM
Thank you to both LMT and BFVISION!

The trouble does look like LMT's picture - that was very helpful. I'm going to follow both of your suggestions - I'll take off one example and bring it to the local garden centre, and then I'm going to really prune the bush.

Lannie
Posted By: poetprose Re: Purple Sand Cherry - sticky - June 19th, 2005 at 06:23 PM
Originally posted by lannie:
Hi
I'm new to this forum and I hope someone can help me with this problem. My purple sand cherry blossomed beautifully this year, and then suddenly yesterday I noticed that certain branches are covered with a sticky substance (honeydew?) and little dark bumps. I sprayed it with dishwashing soap and water, but it may need more than that. It's been incredibly humid and hot here (Toronto Ontario) for over a week now.
Thanks!
Lannie
Posted By: poetprose Re: Purple Sand Cherry - sticky - June 19th, 2005 at 06:27 PM
Hello, I'm not far from Toronto :-)

We had the same problem , one year the Sandcherry was gorgious, beautiful little flowers on it, then it got sick.....

in our case it turned out to be grubs in the ground, so hubby put some pellets in the ground to kill the grubs, it is not producing much flower, however it has not died, and the little foilage that it does have, is staying and the Sandcherry itslef is healthier looking...

I also read that Sandcherry's don't have a very long life span too though ... so I guess we will have to wait and see next summer how well it does
© A Gardeners Forum [Archive]