A Gardeners Forum
Posted By: Cindy from NH Juniper Bush removal - May 23rd, 2005 at 04:36 PM
Hello! I knew that this would be the place to ask this question! We have about 6 juniper bushes that are the smaller, low growing variety, in our front yard. We really are not lovers of these bushes and would like to remove them without destroying about 6 feet of grass around each one. Could someone tell me how to remove them without pulling up a ton of grass and without harming the environment by using chemicals? Any ideas? I've heard of using a copper spike, pouring salt and also burning. Which method is the best?
Thanks in advance
Posted By: Fernie Re: Juniper Bush removal - May 23rd, 2005 at 06:14 PM
Believe it or not....when we had one to get rid of....we wrapped a chain around it and pulled it out with a pickup. It just popped right up out of the ground and didn't hurt a thing around it. The ground was moist around it at the time too.....not wet and muddy but moist.
Posted By: Longy Re: Juniper Bush removal - May 23rd, 2005 at 09:33 PM
You could cut it back to a manageable stump, then go around it with a sharp spade and slice down about 6 inches to sever the roots, at a bit of an angle so you sort of cut an upside down cone shape into the ground. They should just pull out easily then. Shake the soil off and level the spot and it's done. The grass will happily fill in the spot in a few weeks esp if you spread a smidge of high nitrogen fert there and give it a drink. Maybe have a bit of soil or sand to replace the volume of the roots and stump you remove or you may end up with a little low spot. probably a shovel full per plant.
© A Gardeners Forum [Archive]