A Gardeners Forum
Posted By: Francine portulaca flowers. - July 20th, 2005 at 10:04 AM
seems to me like most of my portulaca are slowly dying,is it this time of the year or is there some thing wrong with it.

thank you!
Posted By: tkhooper Re: portulaca flowers. - July 20th, 2005 at 08:43 PM
Are you overwatering by any chance. They don't require very much.

Mine are still doing really well.
Posted By: Francine Re: portulaca flowers. - July 21st, 2005 at 09:26 AM
Tammy,
no i m carefull not to overdoit,today i noticed they were right back to normal;thanks,don t remember if i told ya i received your seeds,i thing so,thank you.
Posted By: tkhooper Re: portulaca flowers. - July 21st, 2005 at 10:04 AM
I'm glad they came back and that you got your seeds. Hope you enjoy them.
Posted By: weezie13 Re: portulaca flowers. - July 21st, 2005 at 10:12 AM
Francine,
Can you tell us a bit about how you have
them planted???
Kind of container...
Kind of soil...
Kind of sun...
Kind of watering, times and how?
Kinds of fertilizers...??????????????

I have some in 6pks I started from seed,
that are still sitting there... shocked
Posted By: Francine Re: portulaca flowers. - July 21st, 2005 at 10:42 AM
hi weezie,

yes i can,here it is:

we simply planted it in the soil like that.
no containers
an average soil
it s in a place where it has shade up to 9:30 or 10 am and it s sunny all day after.
i only water in between 10:00 ant 11:00 am with a gardening spray hose(you know those long ,long thingamajig.
no fertilizer.

thanks.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: portulaca flowers. - July 21st, 2005 at 05:00 PM
I love portulacas....I don't water mine everyday though...they are good in drought like conditions and seem to do better for me when I water every other day when it's really hot....They store water in their long fleshy stems, so they can survive without water longer than most plants. They do sort of start to look straggly though around this time of year.....
Posted By: tkhooper Re: portulaca flowers. - July 21st, 2005 at 06:03 PM
I'm so new to gardening. The straggly look this is when the stems get so long that the blooms kind of make them lean over? I crowded all my plants this year so the portulaca don't have a lot of room to do this lol. I have noticed that the blooms when they die are very sticky and want to stick to the other plants if they get the chance. I usually gentle disengage them. Am I doing any harm when I do that?
Posted By: Anonymous Re: portulaca flowers. - July 21st, 2005 at 11:38 PM
No, taking those off doesn't hurt them...but you don't have to take them off....most annuals have to be deadheaded but I remember reading that you don't have to bother with Portulacas....the dead part just keeps falling off when it dries out. I usually pick them off though too because they are kind of ugly......I just always notice that around this time of year--but mostly in August that the Portulacas start to look kind of worn out....not as pretty as when you first planted them after bringing them home from the nursery....

I like the stems getting long and spreading because I used them alot in hanging baskets and I like them spilling over the edges.....
Posted By: Francine Re: portulaca flowers. - July 22nd, 2005 at 06:59 AM
Thank you everyone and have a great week-end. wavey muggs
© A Gardeners Forum [Archive]