A Gardeners Forum
Posted By: countrylady HELP - July 10th, 2005 at 09:39 PM
I bought a tomatoe plant, so i am growing it in a pot the tomatoes are comeing out but as soon as they start growing they are turning reddish brown this is the first time i am doing this and i am upset because i am takeing good care of it. can someone give me some ideas on what to do
Posted By: JV Re: HELP - July 10th, 2005 at 10:24 PM
coutrylady post this in plants and flowers you can get a lot more help there. My first question is water are your over watering or under watering. But post in Plants and flowers and Will Creed will see it he is an indoor expert. Bill is also an expert on all gardening subject.
Jimmy
Posted By: weezie13 Re: HELP - July 10th, 2005 at 10:59 PM
Countrylady,
Welcome to The Garden Helper's Forum,
We're very glad you found us...

I'm going to move your post down into the
FRUITS AND VEGETABLE SECTION, for your tomatoes..

Also, can you tell us a little bit more about your plant??

*What kind of soil did you pot up your tomato plant in, ie; bagged soil or garden soil.
*What are your watering practice's?
ie; morning time, late at night, with a hose,
drip irragation???

Also, would you happen to have a picture for us??
That may help up figure it out a wee~bit faster for you???????

P/S Don't forget to take a peak around, there's lot's to do here, for every season, even thru the long winter months too!!!
Posted By: countrylady Re: HELP - July 11th, 2005 at 12:29 AM
thank you, i do have some pics. i water the plant when it is dy and i also spray the leaves with water i water the plant until i see the water drain through the hole on the bottom i do give it miracle grow every other week i bought bagged soil please help. i am going to try to send pics
Posted By: countrylady Re: HELP - July 11th, 2005 at 12:36 AM
not sure how to send pics could you guild me

countrylady
Posted By: weezie13 Re: HELP - July 11th, 2005 at 01:31 AM
Countrylady,
If you go to one of these sites, *and there is other's too, just can't remember the names*....

WebShots
PhotoBucket
Imagestation

It's FREE to download your pictures too....
Then you can attach the URL from the place you choose, copy and paste the URL, then click on the IMAGE botton, and insert the URL into there.
*there will be a highlighted blue http:/ thing there, either delete it or click your backspace button to get rid of it

I hope this helps..
I presonally use the PHOTOBUCKET, very user friendly, and all the people here can see it
once it's linked... some, like Imagestation
you *all* have to be a member to view them.

P/S There's some other gardener's that do use pictures alot and maybe able to help you alot better than I did, Afgreyparrot/Cindy, Loz, Meg, Jiffy, G~mom, Plants~n~Pots, Carly....tons of them know how and can give you a hand if you need it....
Posted By: countrylady Re: HELP - July 11th, 2005 at 10:19 PM
thank you weezie i did it with photobucket i hope you get the pictures if not let me know. i just do not not what to do anymore i do not know if i should give up or what with the tomatoe plant.
Posted By: Sorellina Re: HELP - July 11th, 2005 at 10:45 PM
countrylady,

First of all, what variety are you growing? Some tomatoes are actually normally reddish brown when ripe. There is an entire family of black (which in tomato-speak is a dark mahogany) heirloom tomatoes. Examples would be Carbon, Black from Tula, Cherokee Chocolate.

Barring a black variety, you might be seeing blossom end rot, especially if the aberrant colouration is mostly on the bottom half of the tomato. A picture is worth a thousand words, someone once said ;o)

Cheers,
Julianna
Posted By: weezie13 Re: HELP - July 11th, 2005 at 10:50 PM
Don't give up..
We're always here to help, don't forget that..

i hope you get the pictures if not let me know.
Okay, where did you send your pictures to???

You can directly link them here,
Go to the FULL REPLY button, bottom right
of your QUICK REPLY page...
and it'll then have some *10* buttons to click under that..last one on the second column,
it says IMAGE, click on that one, *****Delete or back space over the highlighted blue htt//: thingie, and paste your URL into there from
your PHOTOBUCKET...

If you can't get it still, *I am a terrible direction giver sometimes, *and I"m sneaking back out side in a bit* PM any of the girls on that first list I gave you, any of them will be able to help you too, they fluently put on pictures here alllot!!!!!!*
Posted By: countrylady Re: HELP - July 12th, 2005 at 05:26 AM
[img] http://C:\Documents and Settings\Steve Jackson\My Documents\My Pictures\July 2005\July 2005 058.jpg [/img]

i hope you get this please let me know if it works
Posted By: countrylady Re: HELP - July 12th, 2005 at 05:53 AM
the name of the tomatoe plant is better bush tomato (bonnie)
Posted By: weezie13 Re: HELP - July 12th, 2005 at 06:31 AM
Countrylady,
Can you re~do your URL,
it didn't work, and I
tried to fix it, but not sure what to do...

(One Question?
Did you try to link that from your home computer?
I am not sure, but not sure how to do that...
Usually it's done, it's thru one type of those sites..)
Posted By: weezie13 Re: HELP - July 12th, 2005 at 06:32 AM
[Linked Image]
Posted By: countrylady Re: HELP - July 13th, 2005 at 01:38 AM
hi weezie,
i just replanted the tomatoe plant in the ground, i am hopeing it will help, i did put some pictures of the plant in my photo album in the gardenhelper. if replanting the plant does not help i give up. i guess i am still a new york city girl planting is not my thing.
Posted By: weezie13 Re: HELP - July 13th, 2005 at 02:46 AM
Don't give up, try, try and try again...
And experiment,
that's my most favorite thing to do....
Get 3 or 5 of somethings, and try them
all different ways, and see which was was the
healthiest for the plant, easiest for you the gardener, and most successful for both, and cheapest...

(*I'm gonna take a peak at your photo album later tonight, I gotta go take the kids swimmin'!!!*)

i guess i am still a new york city girl planting is not my thing.
Have no fear, we will get you planting and gardening, as long as you stick it out...

i guess i am still a new york city girl planting is not my thing.
I just envisioned the show "Green Acres" with
Eva Gabor and Eddie Albert.
Posted By: weezie13 Re: HELP - July 13th, 2005 at 02:50 AM
Okay, I was going to check them out before
I left,
i did put some pictures of the plant in my photo album in the gardenhelper.
Which way did you put them??????

I can't sca find them eek eek eek eek
Posted By: tkhooper Re: HELP - July 13th, 2005 at 02:52 AM
You might not want to water the leaves. I'm not sure but I don't think they like that. I could be wrong this is my first year with a garden.
Posted By: Triss Re: HELP - July 13th, 2005 at 03:13 AM
On the image. You need to have the image at a website somewhere rather than on your own computer.

The link you want to put between the [IMG][/IMG]will look something like this

http://www.danstanfield.net/triss/Pics/Unknown%20flowers/pink.JPG

to get this

[Linked Image]

You can find the link by right clicking on am image and going to properties. Copy and paste what is in the address section.

Hope that helps.

Triss
Posted By: countrylady Re: HELP - July 13th, 2005 at 10:14 PM
July 2005 057 i hope you got it
Posted By: countrylady Re: HELP - July 13th, 2005 at 10:15 PM
[img]July 2005 057[/img]
Posted By: weezie13 Re: HELP - July 13th, 2005 at 10:32 PM
Can I ask you if you've gone to one of
the sites we sent you to???

Go to www.photobucket.com

and sign up, there's nothing to it....
*and you can put your photo there,
very easy to do...
there's a box and it will say, BROWSE next to it..
that'll go to where you have it stored on your computer....
Then when you have that picture in that box,
click the button below that says add submit.

KEEP TRYIN', WE'LL GET IT SOON!!!
Posted By: countrylady Re: HELP - July 14th, 2005 at 05:11 AM
http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b41/countrylady2005/countryladys%20poor%20tomatoes/July2005057.jpg i did go to photobucket, try this one and i hope it works
Posted By: countrylady Re: HELP - July 14th, 2005 at 08:40 AM
clp I finally did it.
Posted By: weezie13 Re: HELP - July 14th, 2005 at 08:44 AM
Alright!!!!
You got it!!!
I'll go take a peak at it now...
Posted By: weezie13 Re: HELP - July 14th, 2005 at 09:57 AM
I'm takin' a guess here,
as I can't see the picture too well....

But I'm sayin' Blossom End Rot....

Let me go find you a link to it!!!!!!
Posted By: countrylady Re: HELP - July 14th, 2005 at 10:15 AM
i will see what you say in the morning time for me to say nite nite thank you
Posted By: weezie13 Re: HELP - July 14th, 2005 at 10:18 AM
Try this link here, and click on RIPE FRUIT, there's some pictures there,
click on the one where the fruit looks like yours.
Posted By: countrylady Re: HELP - July 14th, 2005 at 08:54 PM
it seems to look like 1 of the pictures, the tomatoe is red but the botton is greyish brown, if this is it what do i do if anything. i already transplanted it into the ground so i am really hopeing that this will work.
Posted By: weezie13 Re: HELP - July 14th, 2005 at 09:11 PM
Alot of that has to do with
the plants ability to utilize calcium..

It could be caused from low calcium levels in the soil/dirt, could be caused by drought stress conditions *or hot and dry*, or excessive dirt/soil moisture fluctuations which reduce uptake and movement of calcium into the plant, or rapid, vegetative growth due to over amounts of your nitrogen fertilizers....

I use Epsom Salt at the drip line, and or dug into the soil either at planting time
or later *if I forget shocked * sprinkled onto the surface of the soil/dirt and scratched in with
one of the dirt scratchers...*****If the plants' been planted for a wee~bit, becareful how you scratch it in, as you don't want to harm existing roots...*
Click on the 3 links on the side, that say.......
Garden Benefits
Why It Works
Garden Usage Tips
and it'll give you why to use it, what it does,
and how much to use....
***Should say it on the bag too if you go buy some.*
Posted By: countrylady Re: HELP - July 14th, 2005 at 09:42 PM
thank you so much for helping me and my tomatoes
i am going to sprinkle some epsome salt and carefully scratch it into the dirt. if this works you are a blessing and my tomatoes thank you. flw
Posted By: LMT Re: HELP - July 15th, 2005 at 08:15 AM
Originally posted by countrylady:
thank you, i do have some pics. i water the plant when it is dy and i also spray the leaves with water i water the plant until i see the water drain through the hole on the bottom i do give it miracle grow every other week i bought bagged soil please help. i am going to try to send pics
I read this every time. You need to back off commercial nitrogen when plants begin to flower.

--

edit

--

I see Weezie introduced Epson to combat excess commercial nitrogen.

What happens is the commercial nitrogen inhibits the plant's ability to take in calcium. Epson salt is magnesium which helps a plant take in calcium. Lime is calcium.

Back away from the Miracle Grow and use Epson and/or Lime.

I use Miracle early then switch to a bloom enhancer (high center number) for flower and fruit.

The same commerical product cannot carry you from seed to fruit.
Posted By: Sorellina Re: HELP - July 16th, 2005 at 03:39 AM
Countrylady,

The pic isn't that crisp, but if it's indeed blossom end rot (BER), don't despair as it should resolve itself as the plant grows over the course of the season. It's really one of the most benign of tomato problems. You're ok to cut off the affected part of the fruit and eat the rest, it's entirely fine.

As a side note, adding calcium in the form of Tums or epsom salts has been shown to have marginal effect, if only to make the gardener feel like they're doing "something". I truly wouldn't worry about it if I were you. Do resist the temptation to "over-help" especially in the forms of watering and fertilizing where you really will be doing more harm than good.

Buona fortuna,
Julianna
Posted By: LMT Re: HELP - July 16th, 2005 at 06:21 AM
Epson salt is magnesium sulphate, lime is calcium magnesium acetate or calcium carbonate.

You are correct though, back off the store bought additives.
Posted By: countrylady Re: HELP - July 18th, 2005 at 10:18 PM
I thank everybody who helped me with my tomatoe but i took the tomatoe plant out of the pot i had it in and i planted it into the ground and it seems to be doing good now, the new tomatoes are looking alot better and they do not have any signs of being greyish brown n the bottom of them. now if we only get some rain here in davenport iowa i would be happy it has not rained here for about 2 months. thanks again everybody so much. flw
Posted By: weezie13 Re: HELP - July 18th, 2005 at 10:44 PM
Please keep us posted!!!
Really, we enjoy thumbup
Posted By: countrylady Re: HELP - July 19th, 2005 at 04:11 AM
i will as soon as one of the tomatoes ripes i will send a pic of it.
Posted By: weezie13 Re: HELP - July 19th, 2005 at 04:16 AM
thumbup thumbup thumbup thumbup thumbup thumbup thumbup clp
© A Gardeners Forum [Archive]