A Gardeners Forum
Posted By: MaryReboakly fungus-y seeds - September 20th, 2005 at 02:46 AM
I was lucky enough to pick some seeds from my SILs hollyhocks the day before yesterday, but went and forgot them in the ziplock bag overnight.

<insert Homer Simpson D-OH! graemlin here>

When I checked them yesterday they had white fungus-y stuff growing...so I spread them out on a paper towel. Dunno if that's gonna help at this point. Are they done for? Can I still save them?
Posted By: weezie13 Re: fungus-y seeds - September 20th, 2005 at 07:19 AM
Doubt it, but can't see the
amount of fungus..
soooooooo...

Next time you collect and all's you have
is a zip lock baggie...there's 2 things you can
do to help that not happen..

Put some paper towels and or 5" x 5" sheets
of news paper in the bottom and cup it up and
slide the seeds into them in the middle..
and keep the zip lock baggie OPEN!!!!!
Posted By: MaryReboakly Re: fungus-y seeds - September 20th, 2005 at 07:50 AM
Thanks Weezie -- was afraid that would be the verdict. I'll throw them in my back 40 and see if anything pops up wink
Posted By: weezie13 Re: fungus-y seeds - September 20th, 2005 at 08:14 AM
That might work Mary..
The dirt may neutralize the stuff
and the sprout on the inside
may be able to send out and sprout
on it's own...
Dirt can work wonders sometimes.....
Posted By: MissJamie Re: fungus-y seeds - September 20th, 2005 at 08:40 AM
well mary there may still be hope for ya. I did a similar thing not long ago. somebody on another site sent me some tiger lily bulbils and I was stupid and left them in the little zipplock baggie.....for a couple months!! and they sprouted in the bag because they were moist. most of them were rotten almost all the way and I planted them anyway and they still grew! they're still doing pretty good :-) good luck! it wouldn't hurt to try and see what happens!
Posted By: MaryReboakly Re: fungus-y seeds - September 20th, 2005 at 08:42 AM
Hey that's great smile May be I'll try in a spot where I will know for sure if it worked or not -- just to know for next time (because knowing me, there WILL be a next time)!
Posted By: Anonymous Re: fungus-y seeds - September 20th, 2005 at 10:17 PM
i'm with miss jamie on this one. i've done similar things, and had simimlar results. and, one of the ways you tell if seeds are viable is to put them in a moist paper towel in a baggie to see if they sprout! go figure.
© A Gardeners Forum [Archive]