This is MY FIRST time
planting anything!!!!
Sorry the pics are sooooo big!!!

Ninni
Posted By: maryann matthews Re: MY BABIES!! - July 25th, 2005 at 12:03 AM
thumbup
Ninni:
These are beautiful tomatoes!
I think the reason the stalks are spindly might be because they are in pots instead of in the ground?

It is just a guess though, I am not a tomatoe expert!

Happy Gardening flw
Posted By: ninniwinky Re: MY BABIES!! - July 25th, 2005 at 02:44 AM
well I would think that also, but the shorter little bushier one has a stalk the size of my wrist!! and its in a smaller pot!! Weird, huh???

Ninni
Posted By: LMT Re: MY BABIES!! - July 25th, 2005 at 03:00 AM
For years and too many years of growing plants in the house, I like to work a plant up in pot size. It seems to retain a more compact nature that way. I'm sure there's a reason.
Posted By: Bestofour Re: MY BABIES!! - July 25th, 2005 at 06:39 AM
Those are great looking tomatoes. Wonder if the pots are too shallow for the root system. Just a guess. I've never grown tomatoes in pots.

Are you realling listening to Neil Young? I like him with Crosby, Stills, and Nash but not a whole lot as a solo.
Posted By: LMT Re: MY BABIES!! - July 25th, 2005 at 08:19 AM
I pulled "Comes a Time" earlier today and have Arlo Guthrie in right now.
Posted By: Triss Re: MY BABIES!! - July 25th, 2005 at 08:21 AM
Beautiful tomatoes. In pots I have found that pruning as they are first growing gives you bushier plants. But you are getting great fruit so just keep them staked and they should make it to a beautiful red!
Posted By: ninniwinky Re: MY BABIES!! - July 25th, 2005 at 09:56 AM
Thanks Triss, I sure hope so!!!!!! I can't wait to have my Tomato and miracle whip sandwich!!!

Ninni
Posted By: Karrie Re: MY BABIES!! - July 28th, 2005 at 06:23 PM
I'd pull them maters right this moment and eat them fried! I bet they would taste better then my cinnamon rolls!
Posted By: ninniwinky Re: MY BABIES!! - July 28th, 2005 at 09:57 PM
yOu know, I never had fried green tomatoes!! I always wanted to try them....

Ninni
Posted By: Amigatec Re: MY BABIES!! - July 29th, 2005 at 07:17 AM
Originally posted by ninniwinky:
yOu know, I never had fried green tomatoes!! I always wanted to try them....

Ninni
Paula\'s Fried Green Tomato and Egg Hollandaise

Fried green tomatoes are GOOD!!! clp
Posted By: Sorellina Re: MY BABIES!! - August 6th, 2005 at 01:25 AM
Big indeterminate tomato plants, ones that keep producing all season long need about 1 cu. ft. of soil to produce like they would if grown in the ground. The plant on the right might be a determinate plant which grows smaller and produces all at once or perhaps it has more of a dwarf-type growth habit. Without knowing the varieties, it's hard to say.

The only tomatoes I have growing in pots the size of yours are dwarfs, ones that won't get higher than 3' at most. I have 11 others in 1 cu. ft. containers and most are over 7' tall. I've compared yield from those to what I'm getting in the raised bed and they're comparable. My 1 cu. ft. container plants have suffered more from various foliage diseases, though. That might be due to uneven watering and more exposure to high winds during thunderstorms. The soil used was new pro-mix, so there weren't pre-existing diseases like can happen in garden soil.

ninniwinky, depending on where you are in NY, if you're getting a lot of heat/humidity, you may want to put those containers in a saucer and mulch with straw or grass clippings for increased water retention. Just a thought.

Cheers and congrats on your tomatoes ;o)

Julianna
Posted By: ninniwinky Re: MY BABIES!! - August 6th, 2005 at 01:34 AM
thats a really good Idea juliana, we have been DRY here, EXTREMELY humid too!!

Thanks!!

ninni

PS. Two of them are now ripe!!!! Maybe I will take a pic of them on the vine and upload them!!!!
Posted By: ninniwinky Re: MY BABIES!! - August 6th, 2005 at 10:57 PM
I picked my first two tomato's today!!!! Remember, the green ones everyone was telling me to make fried green tomato's with?????? Well now they are a beautiful red! YIPPEE!! This is my first year of growing ANYTHING, EVER!!!!!!

Ninni
© A Gardeners Forum [Archive]