A Gardeners Forum
Posted By: rozy221 Early pumpkin - August 9th, 2005 at 10:41 PM
The birds must have dropped a couple of pumpkin seeds, because I magically have this pumpkin plant that sprouted very early. There is already a fullsized, completely orange pumpkin on it. The foliage has died and I've cut it off. Now I'm wondering what to do with the pumpkin-should I leave it or will it get overripe? Or should I pick it, and, if so, what is the best way to preserve it? I'm not much of a cook, so pumpkin pie is kinda out of the question. Any suggestions? Thanks!
Posted By: thebearswoman Re: Early pumpkin - August 10th, 2005 at 02:11 AM
Well if it is fully ripe and you cut the vines. The only thing that I could tell ya is cut it in half and feed the birds. I know no way to preserve it! Can't freeze it, it will be mushy sorry!!
Posted By: sweetpeas Re: Early pumpkin - August 10th, 2005 at 08:26 AM
Mine are already getting ripe now as well. One of them is about 18 inches in diameter. They are all going to be fairly large it appears. I think the time we put them out has alot to do with their ripening time. I guess you put them out a little early Rozy, if Jacko-lanterns were what was desired.
My Wife makes a blue ribbon pumpkin Pie. so mine are definately not going to be unused.
© A Gardeners Forum [Archive]