A Gardeners Forum
Posted By: notagreenthumb my fuschia needs help - July 23rd, 2005 at 01:00 PM
I have a fuschia hanging basket that is developing yellow leaves, looks droopy a lot, and some of the new buds seem to be drying up before they bloom. I had one in the exact same spot last year that lasted through October and was gorgeous and I'm doing the same thing with this one.... water every morning, (unless it is still damp or it rained... we live in the Seattle area) until the water starts to run out of the drain holes, and I pinch back the blooms that are done. I used the package of "food" that came with the plant, but that two months ago. Everything I read gives conflicting possible causes... lack of food, over-watering, root-bound.
Posted By: darlene87 Re: my fuschia needs help - July 26th, 2005 at 03:42 PM
Hi from a fellow Washingtonian. From Tacoma. It could be the type of fushia also. I used to raise about 50 of them in baskets & found that a few did super lousy. Or you could have a virus in it? I would suspect the later/
Darlene
Posted By: notagreenthumb Re: my fuschia needs help - July 26th, 2005 at 08:39 PM
Thanks, Darlene... if it is a virus, is there any way to "treat" it?
Posted By: darlene87 Re: my fuschia needs help - July 28th, 2005 at 02:51 PM
Not to my knowledge. They say to toss any plants in the garbage that has a virus, as it spreads to other plants. Not saying you have a virus, that is what I suspect. You could take it to an extension agency, like Master Gardeners, or the fair, which is right around the corner, or a local nursery that has a lot of fushias.
Darlene
Posted By: Anonymous Re: my fuschia needs help - July 28th, 2005 at 03:28 PM
How much sun do your fushcias receive? Has the weather been hotter than usual?
Posted By: notagreenthumb Re: my fuschia needs help - July 28th, 2005 at 10:42 PM
My fuschia receives a little filtered sun in the morning and again in the late evening, otherwise it's in the shade. It hasn't been any hotter than usual, but it has been a much wetter June and early July.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: my fuschia needs help - July 29th, 2005 at 01:47 PM
We've been getting the same weather! :rolleyes:

It sounds like you are doing everything right for fuschias. Maybe they do have a disease as Darlene suggested? Duh Sorry I can't be of assistance. There are other fuchsia growers on the forum that might have other suggestions. Please keep us updated!
Posted By: notagreenthumb Re: my fuschia needs help - July 29th, 2005 at 10:06 PM
Thanks to everyone who replied. I'm going to assume it's a disease because it hads tons of new buds on it. However, it doesn't have many blooms left because most of the new ones are drying up before they open up fully. The leaves are looking better... I haven't seen many new yellow ones for the last couple of days.
© A Gardeners Forum [Archive]