A Gardeners Forum
Posted By: MinnesotaGirlie Tomato [roblems AGAIN!! Splitting - August 13th, 2005 at 12:38 AM
I know this is our first year growing tomatoes, but we keep having problems of some sort. I haven't seen anyone post about a prob like this... [Linked Image]

Now the plants did dry out over a 4 day period that I was on vacation, despite the fact that we took preventative measures, but if I remember correctly the fruit was showing signs of this problem b4 we left, and we water every morning. Is it due to dryness or some sort of deficiency or disease?
Posted By: weezie13 Re: Tomato [roblems AGAIN!! Splitting - August 13th, 2005 at 01:38 AM
Too much new water after it had dried out
over the 4 days...
Next time that happens, and you come home
and they are bone dry, try small amounts of
water, say, I don't know, every 3~6 hours,
then it's not one gigantic amounts of new water
after being used to dry...

Those tomatoes should be still okay to eat.
Just keep an eye out on the top..
but once ripe enough to eat, slice off all
that split stuff and eat the bottom 3/4..
Posted By: papito Re: Tomato [roblems AGAIN!! Splitting - August 13th, 2005 at 03:45 AM
If you don't see any sign of disease, it is probably a cultural problem. Like Weezie said, it could be due to excesssive watering or inadequate watering especially during high temperatures above 90*F or extremely high sunlight.

If you had a rainfall after a dry spell, remove ripe fruits immediately after a rain to prevent cracking.

Keep the soil evenly moist. Mulching will help conserve moisture.
Posted By: DaisyM Re: Tomato [roblems AGAIN!! Splitting - August 13th, 2005 at 06:38 AM
If your tomato is prone to cracking or splitting, remove it as soon as it starts to ripen. This usally happens when there is too much rain (water), but some tomato types just tend to split more so than others.
© A Gardeners Forum [Archive]