A Gardeners Forum
Posted By: Canhosta Hosta's - July 13th, 2005 at 01:20 AM
Would like to jump in and say hello, from Eastern Canada...I have just reacently taken an interest in planting several types of Hosta's. I was just about to plant a "Sums and Substance". I have a large Maple tree in my back yard, would you think it would be ok to plant this hosta under the tree. Thks
Posted By: Gardencrazy Re: Hosta's - July 13th, 2005 at 02:01 AM
Howdy wavey Canhosta wavey Welcome to the forum.

I have most of my hostas under trees. The biggest things you have to worry about are roots and water. The tree roots can be all over the place and crowd out the hosta over time. The water issue IMO is a bigger deal. The trees drain the water from around them so it leaves very little for the other plants. During the warmer months I have to water mine atleast twice a week. Mulch them well too. Hope this helps.

Donna flw
Posted By: gardengal Re: Hosta's - July 13th, 2005 at 05:12 AM
My biggest problem with hostas has been snails!! But before the snails got them they were planted under my maple tree and did just fine. Good luck. I've given up on hostas, maybe I'll try them again some day... smile
Posted By: MaryReboakly Re: Hosta's - July 13th, 2005 at 09:48 AM
Welcome to the forum wink

I LOVE hostas, and have about 10 now (I've been a little hosta crazy - just started my garden this year) Sum & Substance is one of the larger hostas that will grow about 3' x 3'. You want to make sure you plant it far enough away from the tree so that it has room to grow that large wink

As Donna said you want to watch the water since hostas do like their water wink You might think about building a rasied bed around the tree about a foot or more away from the trunk to be sure your hosta is getting enough water. Good luck!
Posted By: Canhosta Re: Hosta's - July 13th, 2005 at 07:05 PM
I would like thank everyone for the help in my decision where to plant my "Sums and Substance" Hosta. I will stay tuned to the forum, as I find it very interesting to read other posts and watch the solutions to their problems. Thanks again.
Posted By: toot1 Re: Hosta's - July 14th, 2005 at 12:51 AM
An old remedy for slugs is to sink cat food tins into the ground (or something like them) and fill with beer. THey love the beer, fall in and drown, or die of alcohol intoxication. Try to keep the dog out of it.
Posted By: tkhooper Re: Hosta's - July 14th, 2005 at 01:40 AM
I wonder if the squirrel would go after the beer. What a terrible thought shame on me. But I can just see him trying to navigate the retaining wall while about 3 sheets to the wind.

I'm Baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad!

Someone mentioned something about eggshells around the edge too. I don't remember what it was though. I guess my mind just isn't going to remember again. Sorry.
Posted By: MaryReboakly Re: Hosta's - July 14th, 2005 at 05:49 AM
eggshells being sharp when they're crushed up are supposed to cut the little buggers when they cross over them...but I've heard people say that crushed eggshells weren't effective for them - guess it depends on how tough your brand of slugs are wink

An important point about the beer trick is to put the beer away from the hosta or whatever you're trying to keep slugs away from - you don't want to attract new slugs to your hosta...you ultimately want to lure them away and any future generations as well.
© A Gardeners Forum [Archive]