A Gardeners Forum
Posted By: hinda mint - June 27th, 2005 at 12:34 AM
from all i heard about mint i thought that no one (not even me) could kill mint. but ......i think i may have. i moved it to be in direct light - it;s in a pot for now - and then i saw the leaves all started to wilt so i moved it back to a place where there is only afternoon sun. but it has no leaves and hasnt shown any grwothi a few eeks. do i try to keep hope for a revival or do i ask my neighbour for a new cutting? Duh
Posted By: tkhooper Re: mint - June 27th, 2005 at 01:27 AM
new cutting time. Sorry to be the person with the bad news. I recently found out that they like to stay moist. I was letting mine dry out between waterings and it died too.
Posted By: hinda Re: mint - June 30th, 2005 at 04:05 PM
thanks! its actuall not such bad news - a neighbour of mine has a whole bunch of mint and said that she wants to get rid of it all - so it was perfect timing! thumbup
Posted By: tkhooper Re: mint - June 30th, 2005 at 06:36 PM
I learned something else about cuttings. They don't like any direct sun. So if you have a place the sun doesn't hit directly make that you cutting place. And they like it humid so if you can place some water around them in a cup or something that would be good. Also the best time to start cuttings is in the fall.

I cleaned off the top of my refrigerator and am going to tape some clear plastic from the ceiling to the top of the refrigerator to make a tent. That should help keep the humidity high while they are growing their little roots.

I want to do mint too so I will be hoping you have the best of luck with your project.

With your neighbor wanting to get rid of it you can transplant the entire plant into your garden that is fantastic. Remember it is invasive so you want to separate it from your other plants.
Posted By: GiraffeMSW Re: mint - July 10th, 2005 at 08:53 PM
I have found (accidentally) that a cup of water next to your mint plant will also start them rooting.

My spearmint is in a container with a jade plant of all things (it's a strawberry planter pot.) I had a dish of water sitting next to the planter and the mint grew into it and rooted.
Posted By: tkhooper Re: mint - July 11th, 2005 at 07:22 PM
Oh that is so cute. How in the world are you keeping them both alive in the same container. Your thumb must be super green. You don't think the mint is trying to run away from the jade do you? lol.
Posted By: GiraffeMSW Re: mint - July 12th, 2005 at 07:55 AM
I'll have to snap a couple pics. I simply split a container of mint (4 inch cup of it I think) into 3 or 4 sections and tucked it into the jut outs in the strawberry planter. Then I tucked (read: crammed) the jade plant into the top. I had always been told that jade plants preferred to be kept in tight conditions so it seemed like a good idea at the time (I have no idea if that is true though.)

The mint has started growing upwards and into/through the jade in the last couple weeks. I am afraid the jade may not like that, so I will probably pull those parts out.

*Sorry for the threadjacking*
© A Gardeners Forum [Archive]