A Gardeners Forum
Posted By: hinda pear tree from seeds - May 15th, 2005 at 08:49 PM
i am very new at this gardening bit but i am very eager to have a beautiful garden. i wanted to try and gro a pear tree from seeds of pears after we ate them. how can i doo this. do the seed need special preparation? should the seeds be planted close to the top or dug furhter down? does it need to be heavily watered? how soon should i expect results. i unfortuntely dont even know what kind of pears these are. they are small green pears that i buy in the local store - keep in mind that i live in isrel
thanx
hinda wavey
Posted By: Anonymous Re: pear tree from seeds - May 15th, 2005 at 09:11 PM
wavey hi hinda! welcome... i don't have your answer, but wanted to say hi.
Posted By: tkhooper Re: pear tree from seeds - May 15th, 2005 at 11:38 PM
Some pears require cross pollination so you would need two different sorts of pears inorder to get fruit. And I'm afraid I don't know anything about their growing requirements. But if you only have about 8 weeks of growing season that may not be enough time for them to fruit. I have been reading up on your area as you can see. The ones you have may be a hybrid that is special to your area in which case you are going to have to find out that varieties name.
Posted By: obywan59 Re: pear tree from seeds - May 20th, 2005 at 05:17 PM
Pear trees definitely benefit from cross-pollination.

Seeds of fruit trees produce seedlings of varying quality, most of which will not be as good as the parents. Also, seedling trees would grow into full sized "standard" trees which would require tending with ladders and lots of climbing.

I would recommend buying a named variety of pear tree on a dwarfing rootstock. You would know what you were getting and being dwarf makes the care of the trees so much easier.

This of course would also depend on whether or not pears are suited to your climate. Pears and apples are more suited to temperate regions. You are probably hot and dry. There may be certain varieties that would be acceptable, however. I would do some research on this before attempting it.

Having said all this, I have a friend who is nursing a small apple seedling. Simply for the fun of experimentation, you could plant some seeds in small pots or probably a cell pack would be better. The seeds will need a 2-3 month period to encourage germination. Place them in a little moist sand or potting soil in the refrigerator and then plant them in a cell pack after 3 months or so.

One more thought, pear and apple trees need a certain amount of cold weather to stimulate bloom and fruit set. Certain varieties require less of a cool period than others, but if they don't receive enough cold temperatures, they will never fruit.
© A Gardeners Forum [Archive]