A Gardeners Forum
Posted By: tkhooper It worked - June 4th, 2005 at 12:52 PM
The layer raised bed worked it is loam and really black and crumbly and sooooooo easy to work. The one thing I could have done better is made it in the sun lol. So I still have to dig the weeds out of a sunny patch for the tomatoes and probably the garlic as well.

Anyway I wanted to say THANK YOU to everyone that taught me how to do that. Every foot of weeds I don't have to pull out by the roots is a blessing.
Posted By: Carly Re: It worked - June 8th, 2005 at 02:10 PM
Congrats - I just did one with some railway ties I got. I put some cosmos in it. It only raised it about 6 inches, but still it's better than the scrub that was there.
Posted By: Bestofour Re: It worked - June 17th, 2005 at 08:33 AM
can you guys post pictures?
Posted By: Carly Re: It worked - June 19th, 2005 at 10:25 PM
OK - my cosmos square isn't anything to speak of right now, but here is how I did it. There was a dead tree that was just a big twig with twigs coming off it - I finally gave up on the thing and let Jeff cut it down.

It was legal - not over 12 inches in diameter. So we broke up the branches, put the log on the south lot for me to do something with it, then went about cleaning up the branches - ugh.

I took the small railway ties I got from a renovation around the corner, put them together in a square and filled in some mulch, then garden soil and put five packs of cosmo seeds in . . .

[Linked Image]

that log I mentioned is going to go toward making a raised mulch place. Wierd, I know, but I'm attracted to those thorny plants that come up - the ones that go grey and hard and look something like a groundsel of some kind? Really ugly, but I love watching them grow. Well, I'm thinking of putting them in the bend of the fence on the south lot.

I don't know if I have a pic of this - it's a particularly messy place.

No - looks like I didn't take any of that. No reason to do so right now anyway.

Maybe I'll give this project priority this week and do some 'how to' pics as I go.
Posted By: tkhooper Re: It worked - June 21st, 2005 at 08:28 AM
I'm sorry sheri there really isn't anything to take a picture of. As I stated I had it in a shady spot and needed it in a sunny spot so I weeded the sunny spot and then took the good soil from the spot where I had done the raised bed and put it where I planted the tomatoes. I put a picture of the tomatoes in the veggy section in ninny's post but it doesn't show the soil. I would if I could. Sorry.
Posted By: Francine Re: It worked - July 18th, 2005 at 11:09 AM
congrats tammy,

when you get some pix,we d like to see it.
Posted By: Carly Re: It worked - July 19th, 2005 at 11:34 AM
Looks like I lost my picture. Might have expired or maybe I deleted the jpg from the server by accident.

Ah! I know - somebody that works for the server (Image Shack) doesn't like weeds and got sick of looking at mine.
© A Gardeners Forum [Archive]