A Gardeners Forum
Posted By: WyoMom Horseradish ? - August 3rd, 2005 at 09:46 PM
My husband would like to try horseradish in our garden next year. Anybody ever grow this before? Are there any special needs I should know about?
Thank you for your time.
Nancy
Posted By: RugbyHukr Re: Horseradish ? - August 3rd, 2005 at 10:51 PM
It grows really easily & gets big.
Posted By: weezie13 Re: Horseradish ? - August 4th, 2005 at 01:29 AM
And pick a spot that it doesn't get moved.
And can grow out and out and out more, eventually.

And make sure it's tilled deep....for it's roots.
Posted By: WyoMom Re: Horseradish ? - August 4th, 2005 at 10:00 PM
Thank you for your advice. I have never seen the plant before so wasn't sure about it; just know we love the stuff. I was thinking about planting herbs around the edge of my garden, leaving spaces to use as entrances. I know some can become invasive so I thought about putting them in pots buried along the garden edge. Would horseradish work like that or does it spread more like irises? I better head to the library and do some more research on these. Any books you would recommend on herbs?
Again thank you for your time, I really appreciate the help you gardeners gave me.
Nancy
Posted By: obywan59 Re: Horseradish ? - August 4th, 2005 at 10:56 PM
I've read of a recommendation to plant it in a bottomless bucket to control the spread.
Posted By: weezie13 Re: Horseradish ? - August 4th, 2005 at 11:14 PM
My nieghbors on the hill, *who've now moved out*
had a patch of that stuff, the patch is got to be about 20ft long now and 6~8ft wide....
It just sits there..

Of course, the guy who owns the property now
isn't doing anything the house/property except
roundup every other weekend it seems. mad frown :p

And it almost reminds me of looking at Ragweed
from a distance.
Posted By: Elfinone Re: Horseradish ? - August 4th, 2005 at 11:28 PM
Ihave had horseradish for years now. I like it. It grows long wide leaves and it flowers white tiny flowers on it, smells wonderful. Little to no care once it gets established. I have mine in a controlled bed, it can only go so far. If you decide to make your own ground horseradish wait til I think the first light frost.
it has been a very long time since I have done that, mainly because I had some jerk painting the inside of the house, he decided to clean brushes and his paint pan and rollers in my horse radish bed. I have waited 6 years for all the chemicals to go away, this year I am gonna try it. Fingers crossed I can and it will be good. I have my doubts at this point.
wink
Posted By: WyoMom Re: Horseradish ? - August 6th, 2005 at 12:34 AM
Boy am I glad you said something about the paint because I was going to cut off the bottoms of 5 gallon buckets my husband brings home. He is a painter and we always have buckets. Do you think if I cleaned them up real good the paint residue won't harm the plants? Sorry to hear about the jerk who cleaned up in your horseradish patch. I hope you get to eat your horseradish this year. I use it in a lot of my cooking. My husband always brings a bucket of clean water to wash his stuff in and then takes it to a car wash to do a good cleaning. Thank you to everyone who answered. I can hardly wait for next year and this year isn't over. I have been making notes and plans for next year. I am a list sort of person-must have lists. You would not believe how many garden plans I drew up before I actually planted anything. :rolleyes: shocked
© A Gardeners Forum [Archive]